IGNORED

Towing

Either drain the tranny or make a plug from an old driveshaft yoke. The driveshaft must be removed, but otherwise it will tow fine. I towed my car 750 miles when I drug it home from Georgia in 1990.

Do not put the car backwards on a dolly. The steering column must remain unlocked so the car can steer around tight turns. If not, it drags and binds.

If the rear wheels can't steer when fronts are on the dolly then why would the fronts need to steer if the rears were on the dolly? On a tow bar you must leave the steering unlocked but a tow dolly does the steering.

Steve

If the wheels are locked, the dolly and Z car become a fixed 4 wheel trailer with a 91" wheelbase. Think of a hay wagon or a kid's Radio Flyer. If the front axle didn't pivot, the tires would skid around every corner. By unlocking the steering column, the front tires stay locked to the dolly, but allow the car to articulate like the wagon's front axle.

Uhaul makes it very clear that the car must be loaded forward with the column unlocked. I tried it once with a car backwards before I knew better and it was terrible to tow. It's no different than a flat tow. Some dollies might have steering, but none that I've used. I know Uhaul dollies are fixed.

If the wheels are locked, the dolly and Z car become a fixed 4 wheel trailer with a 91" wheelbase. Think of a hay wagon or a kid's Radio Flyer. If the front axle didn't pivot, the tires would skid around every corner. By unlocking the steering column, the front tires stay locked to the dolly, but allow the car to articulate like the wagon's front axle.

Uhaul makes it very clear that the car must be loaded forward with the column unlocked. I tried it once with a car backwards before I knew better and it was terrible to tow. It's no different than a flat tow. Some dollies might have steering, but none that I've used. I know Uhaul dollies are fixed.

http://www.pensketruckrental.com/personal_rental/accessories/towing_tow_dolly.html

Look down the page a little where you will see..

"6. Make certain that your vehicle is centered on the tow dolly platform, because the platform swivels during turns. Adequate space is required between the tow dolly fenders and your vehicle."

And

14. The parking brake must be released on your vehicle before traveling. Be sure the steering is locked in the straight position, with the wheels pointed straight ahead.

15. Remove your keys from the ignition and lock your vehicle. "

Apparently Penske dollies work like I think they do. I saw others that work like you say.

Uhaul is the same as Penske, locked wheel. http://www.uhaul.com/about/publication.ashx?id=20517

Penske doesn't recommend backing onto a tow dolly. With the almost 50/50 weight distribution of the Z I don't think that is a concern. YMMV.

Steve

Edited by doradox
added Uhaul link