tranny swap - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

tranny swap

Featured Replies

I just changed the auto tranny for a 5 speed out of two 1978 280z cars. The problem I have run into is when the ignition key is turned to start, nothing happens. I just hear a click from under the pass. side of the dash and the floor temp light comes on as well as the seatbelt light. I've heard of a inhibitor switch (like a neutral safety switch) that you have to bypass when you do the swap, but cannot find where to bypass it. I've heard on some of the older cars there is just a switch on the pass side fenderwell, but I cannot find it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Erik

From what I remember, there is a two wire harness to the trans on the RH side that needs to be connected together before it will start. It is two bullet connectors. Heck, they might even be one male, one female. If so, plug one into the other. The other set of wires goes to the reverse switch on the trans. Don't get them confused.

EDIT: The wires you are looking for will be in the tunnel near the trans mount and the reverse switch.

You can download the FSM from xenonS30.com if you want to look at the wiring diagram.

Edited by Jeff G 78
Added info

On the earlier cars, both wires were black, and had the same bullet connectors, both male IIRC. I think this is still true on the later cars, as the transmission in my '71 was actually out of an '83, and the switch still plugged right in.

Anyway, I believe you'll need to make a jumper wire, or modify/replace the connectors.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.