IGNORED

BMW locking gas cap in a 240Z

Inf

Hello all,

A few years back I read about this BMW locking gas cap that was alleged to be a perfect fit in our 240Zs, so I bought one for my 72.

Prior to this, my car had some no-name brand locking gas cap that some previous owner had installed long ago, but the locking mechanism broke and it would no longer seal.

I picked up one of these BMW caps from partstrain.com based on part numbers I found on zcar.com.

I believe this swap has since been sold by MSA, as discussed here, and on the zcar.com thread linked in this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24952

At any rate, the BMW gas cap did not fit my flange. The center section of the cap was slightly too large to fit. I instead had to go back to using this old non-locking gas cap which I was told was for a 240z, and it fits fine.

My question is this, judging by these photos, does my flange appear to be some aftermarket version to fit the old aftermarket locking gas cap the car used to have?

The 1st photo is the flange mounted on my car, the 2nd is the non-locking "240z" gas cap I either got from another member here, or off ebay (can't recall). The 3rd and 4th pictures are the BMW cap. I think it could be made to fit with some modification to the flange, but I would rather not do that, in case the flange may be NLA...

I'm trying to find the original flange on the microfiche to see if replacements are available, but I can't tell from the illustration exactly what is what... I think it may be 17212-E4101... I would post a screenshot from the microfiche, but I believe it's against the rules?

Thanks

post-3312-14150806868323_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14150806868911_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14150806869487_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14150806870095_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inf

Hrmm, could someone with a 240Z do me a favor and measure the diameter of their gas flange opening? The part number I THINK it is is only 8 dollars or so at Courtesy

Edited by Inf
typo

Hello all,

A few years back I read about this BMW locking gas cap that was alleged to be a perfect fit in our 240Zs, so I bought one for my 72.

Prior to this, my car had some no-name brand locking gas cap that some previous owner had installed long ago, but the locking mechanism broke and it would no longer seal.

I picked up one of these BMW caps from partstrain.com based on part numbers I found on zcar.com.

I believe this swap has since been sold by MSA, as discussed here, and on the zcar.com thread linked in this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24952

At any rate, the BMW gas cap did not fit my flange. The center section of the cap was slightly too large to fit. I instead had to go back to using this old non-locking gas cap which I was told was for a 240z, and it fits fine.

My question is this, judging by these photos, does my flange appear to be some aftermarket version to fit the old aftermarket locking gas cap the car used to have?

The 1st photo is the flange mounted on my car, the 2nd is the non-locking "240z" gas cap I either got from another member here, or off ebay (can't recall). The 3rd and 4th pictures are the BMW cap. I think it could be made to fit with some modification to the flange, but I would rather not do that, in case the flange may be NLA...

I'm trying to find the original flange on the microfiche to see if replacements are available, but I can't tell from the illustration exactly what is what... I think it may be 17212-E4101... I would post a screenshot from the microfiche, but I believe it's against the rules?

Thanks

My gas flange looks like yours as well and that nice looking BMW cap I purchased did not fit either. :mad:

Looks to me like that cap might fit a 260Z or an early 280Z (the one's with the larger diameter filler neck) but I don't see it fitting anything else.....except maybe a BMW:) Well, the story did originate on zcar.com. It certainly wouldn't be the first questionable thing to come from there.

Edited by sblake01

Bummer. I haven't heard anything bad about the BMW cap MSA was selling, so I can only assume the zcar.com thread had the wrong part number.

MSA no longer sells it, so I can probably assume the supply "dried up" under the demand from z-car owners.

:(

Also, thanks MikeW. I measured mine and it's the same. 57mm is about 2.25", and the center section of this BMW cap seems to be a good 1/16" larger than that.

Edited by Inf

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same BMW cap on my 70 240Z. In order for me to make it work I had to use tin snips and cut a tiny bit off each of the latches that extend out on the cap. It fits fine now, but the downside is you can't lock it. The lock works on the cap but you can still unscrew it and remove the cap with it "locked".

Some guy on e-bay was selling the cap saying it fits a 240z and works fine.

I guess it makes a good decoy. People will just assume that it is locked and not steal my gas. hahaha

• 5 weeks later...

I had one on my 260z when I bought it. I since changed it back to a stock cap. The BMW cap locked and wouldn't come off unless unlocked from what I remember. I still have it in the garage. I'll try it back on and test it again.