IGNORED

Need some advice about fuel injection

toms70

Hello,

Im new here and I may be posting in the wrong area for this question but I was hoping someone could give me some information on the fuel injection on the S30 280z cars. I was given a 240 with the stipulation that the engine stays with the previous owner. As luck would have it I spotted a S30 280z near my home and was able to pick it up for a very reasonable price. I am perfectly content to use the 280 engine but I am wondering about how the fuel injection works and how often I can expect to have to work on it, LOL! As a side note, two days after my 240 came to live with me a local guy stopped by my shop and offered me a new set of front fenders that have been hangin in his garage for 25 years, absolutely free! As long as I can recall I have wanted a 240 and this car seems to be coming together so smoothly that I must have pleased the car gods in some way! Anyway, I look forward to getting to know everyone and hope to learn as much as possible as this is my first Z car.

Thanks,

Tommy

The easiest thing to do would be to source carbs and unbolt the EFI. To go with the EFI you need to change lots of things. Not that it isn't possible or desireable it just isn't going to be a quick path to being on the road with it. I have a set of carbs that I would sell along with manifolds, linkage, air cleaners etc... I am sure others do as well and eBay is another source. Without looking at your car it is impossible to say with any accuracy but it may be as simple as unbolting the EFI stuff, bolting on the carbs dropping it in and plumbing it up.

My first '71 had an '83 ZX injected motor in it, and it was a mess. Not because the injection is inherently bad (it's not), but because the guy who swapped it in didn't take the time or effort to do it right. As Rob said, there's a whole lot of things to add or change to use the injection in a 240Z. I agree with Rob that it will be far simpler to use the 280Z motor with a set of 240Z carbs.

conedodger and Arne are right, it is easier, faster and cheaper to install carbs on the 280 long block. I did the carbs to aftermarket FI (in my gallery) and while the performance is way better, it is costly. I wouldn't have done it for stock FI. Converting your carb hose system to FI rated or using AN fittings plus a different fuel pump are just the beginning of what is needed, not to mention all the sensors needed for the FI.

Just as an exercise in memory let me try to think of all you would have to change. You have an L28 motor with its associated EFI but you don't have, I assume dropping resistors, an EFI fuel tank with a return line, high pressure fuel pump, and so on...

You basically would have to take a 240Z body and transplant the 280Z into it. Not simple or cheap.

The L28 with carbs is a very satisfying motor for street fun.