IGNORED

Few questions: trans, fuel filter

ramsesosirus

Well guys I thought I had fixed my problems, but nope. Automatic trans is leaking BAD and shifting is erratic, along with clunking. I plan to swap the 79 ZX 5 speed I have.

is there any way to tell if the trans works before installing? It shifts through all gears;

Will I have to cut the floor for the shifter? 76 280z. I've read sometimes you cut and sometimes you don't have to. I ask bc I won't have power when doing this swap. Would have to rent a generator or use elbow grease.

I installed a G3 filter when putting new pump on to protect the pump in case there was crap in the tank. After 1 full tank there is a small amount of particles (rust?) in the filter, but not clogged or anything. How much rust is enough to cause problems?

Its hard to tell if the hesitation/lurching is from the tank or the trans.

I also noticed that the G3 is getting air from the fuel tank. Even if I move the filter around, it still sucks air bubbles from the tank, even with full tank, how is this possible???

I was ready to drive the Z, now I get to swap the trans and spend more money that I don't have, today is not a good day. Already did the fuel pump, regulator, G3 filter, cap, rotor, coil, plugs twice, front calipers and pads, and oil. Man that oil was DIRTY! I had to pound a screwdriver in the filter to remove it. The paper part of the filter was real black. Good thing I changed it.

So right now I'm down to a few things that may need attention:

Transmission

Fuel Tank

Fuel Injectors

Valves

Brakes need more power, they go to the floor but stop fine (bad booster?)

BTW, unless my tank is gummed up, these EFI pumps are pretty loud, huh? My old one and this brand new one are both about the same.

Edited by 280ZSS

I plan to swap the 79 ZX 5 speed I have.

is there any way to tell if the trans works before installing? It shifts through all gears;

Realistically? No. If you weren't able to drive and test it while it was still in the donor car, there's not much that you can tell now. You're probably just going to have to install it and cross your fingers at this point.
Will I have to cut the floor for the shifter? 76 280z. I've read sometimes you cut and sometimes you don't have to.
Not certain. You would not need to cut if your car was a 4 speed swapping to a 5 speed, but there may be a spot-welded plate covering part of the hole on your automatic car. If so, I should think you could get it out with hand tools though.

Thanks Arne.

About the trans, that's kind of what I suspected. The donor was a car at U-pull-it, no way to test it out. Got it for $100 though, so a good gamble.

I can't decide if I want the auto or stick, but can't afford to have professional work done, and I've had bad experience when having my Monte SS tranny rebuilt, never did run right...

My best bet now is to just swap it over and rebuild one of them later myself if I get the tools. I have a spare TH350 to tinker with.

I've heard the mainshaft/countershaft nut likes to loosen on the older 5 speeds.

If this happens, I lose 5th and Reverse, but 1-4 are fine??? I can deal with that, this car isn't that hard to push if you watch where you park.

If I order a clutch kit, I need to make sure all the parts are for a 280z right, including PP,Clutch, TO,pilot, MT starter, and TO sleeve.

I will need to make or find a metal line to the slave from the master. Donor car's broke. DO I NEED TO HAVE THAT metal clip thats welded to the frame, where the rubber hose meets the metal one? Or can it just be routed out of the way and be fine?

Thanks

You may be able to buy the hard steel line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder hose. I bent my own. The small 3/16 lines are not that difficult to bend, but get a good bending tool.

Even broken, the old line would at least be a good guide. You will have to secure it to the firewall somehow I expect.