IGNORED

Crankshaft pulleys on 1981 ZX Turbo

81 ZXT

I have 3 pulleys on the car. Inside goes to fan/pump - Middle to A/C - outer to P/S pump. The A/C (middle) spins freely when car is shut off. Is this an assembly or is it one unit. Is each pully dependent of the others (keyed?)

I'm not sure on the ZX's. We only had the two row pulley on the 280Z because of no power steering. That's one unit. Looking at the diagram for a ZX, it looks to like the outer pulley is seperate but the inner two are one unit. Sounds like the rubber that is bonded in between the inner and outer parts of the pulley has deteriorated. They can be rebuilt/rebonded. It's been years but I had that done on a harmonic balancer on a Chevy I once owned. Check with a machine shop. If they don't do it there they can steer you to someone who does. Like I said, I'm not sure but this scan from the ZX manual makes it look like the ps pulley is seperate from the other two.

o0t2xg.jpg

Edited by sblake01

Thanks again Stephen. I saw a used one on e-bay for about $20.00 I will try it out. One other thing, I have a miss at low rpm's but it goes away once you get above about 2400. It's either going away or I just don't notice it because of the higher rpm's. Could this be a timing issue or an injector issue. I have one injector (#1 cyl) that has has a pink connector instead of brown. Could it be for a non-turbo L28? Could that be my problem?

Thanks again, you've really helped me with this car.

Well, I used a big pipe wrench on the pulley to loosen the bolt without turning over the engine. Now I am trying various pullers to get the pulley off. Does the small flywheel looking thing stay on? You know, the crank angle sensor thing.