IGNORED

Exhaust pipe size

ChrisZ

The PO installed a home made exhaust system in my car, it's a 2.25 inch pipe with a Volvo muffler:ermm: and its loud with a not so crisp a sound:sick:.

I like to duplicate the Clifford twin pipe system, but can't decide on the pipe size, i think a twin 1 3/4 inch system will be the best for flow, it have to connect to my headder witch is a 3 to 2 and ends in 2 inch, all input appreciated.

Chris

Chris -

If you've made a few performance mods (bigger cam, head work, tripples, ignition, etc.), you might want to consider running twin 2" pipes from the header back. I had a similar setup on a 1972 over 30 years ago. I had long glass pack mufflers stacked in the transmission tunnel which allowed for longer tailpipes to the back of the car. In my opinion, having longer tailpipes produces a mellower and more pleasant tone, similar to Jags and other six cylinder sports cars of a bygone era.

Edited by 240jetjoc

I agree with Roger on the long tail pipe and the sound. Much more of a mellow, almost musical tone that way. My car is seriously undersized in the exhaust department by today's standards, with a single, stock-size 1 3/4" pipe. But it sounds quite nice with a single 24" glass pack in the center and the long tail pipe. As Roger noted, the exhaust note makes me think of Jags from the '60s.

Something to consider, i'm just worried that there will be to less restriction with dual two inch and that will take away my low end touqe.

Resonator, muffler, glasspack ? i really don't know the difference, but really like to heve it explained, over here we have silencers, that's it.

The setup i'm considering will be with two silencer in each string, in the transmission tunnel i wan't two 3 3/5 X 20 inch silencers and at the rear end i'm thinking about two ot the same or maybe a little bigger diameter, i could however wait with the rear ones, it's worth taking you up on your advice Roger.

Just like to get a crisp sound and enough flow.

Chris

Edited by ChrisZ

If the collector coming off your header is 2" - that will be enough back-pressure for the scavenging effects of the header to take place.

Twin 1 3/4 or 1 7/8's will allow you to run the exhaust pipes tucked up high enough that you won't have ground clearance problems.

Muffler - is a general term, usually used to describe the main noise reduction chamber in the exhaust system. Mufflers usually reverse the flow of the exhaust gas as noise {sound waves} tends to travel in a straight line. So that is one of the most effective methods of reducing the sound of exhaust pulses from the engine.

Resonator - is a smaller more specialized noise reduction chamber used to reduce high pitch resonance or drowning in the exhaust system, without introducing too much restriction to the flow. Normally located mid way in the exhaust system, or a little closer to the engine. Most resonators do not reverse the direction of the flow of exhaust gases - but rather use tubes of various diameter, with holes or slits cut in them on both the inlet and outlet ends. Moving the resonators along the exhaust system can change the tone of the exhaust system.

Glasspack - refers to the material that is packed around the tubes running the length of the muffler, with holes or slots cut in the tubes. The fiberglass absorbs both the heat and noise - but it also burns out in fairly short order. So as the car is driven the sound increases.

Another method of changing the tone of an exhaust system, as well as increase the total flow capability - is to put a balance tube between to the two exhaust pipes, when two are used. Again moving the balance tube, or changing the diameter of it will have an effect on the tone of the exhaust system.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl thanks for the explanation, then it must be resonators i'm going to use, so a 1 7/8" will fit, i will have a look next time i got the car on a lift.

The supply has a limit, i will have a freind bringing it back from Sweden next weekend, i will have a 38% saving because of the exchange rate, with only two resonators it will run up in ~$150 with pipe, bends, resonators, reducers and clamps, pretty cheap, it's going to be fun:D.

I'm thinking of taking a bunch of photos and also a video clip of the before and after sound, is there any interest in a "how to build a twice pipe" topic, if so i will do it.

Chris