IGNORED

FRONT Stabilizer bar Installation advice wanted

PATZ

Hi ALL!

The left side portion of the chassis where the FRONT Stabilizer bar Mounting clamp is bolted to just sheared right off (BAD rust!). In about 18 hrs. i`l have a body man weld in some new metal so i can attach the left side of the swaybar.

Is it as simple as just welding the piece of metal on properly(correct orientation, etc..) then attaching the Stabilizer bar? The FSM mentions "installing the Stabilizer bar correctly so that the position painted in white is in the position in fig. FA-12". That white paint doesnt exist on my Stabilizer bar anymore. Whats the lowdown on that painted white mark anyway? Is it just to insure that the Stabilizer bar ends are aligned properly to the suspension arm and give the Stabilizer bar a certain amount of loading or something? Bodyman is doing it in about 17 hrs, so pls, any comments, advice? THANKS!

patrick

Edited by PATZ
add words

There is a small internal steel bracket that transfers some of the load to the oposite side of the frame rail. You should get you body guy to carefully cut away the rotten section till he finds good steel, then weld in a patch.

I'd be getting him to fabricate a patch first, drill the holes, fix it to the internal bracket and then weld it all up, grind is back smooth and then it will be in the right place.

Just a thought.

post-1608-14150806448036_thumb.jpg

post-1608-14150806448634_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240znz

There is a small internal steel bracket that transfers some of the load to the oposite side of the frame rail. You should get you body guy to carefully cut away the rotten section till he finds good steel, then weld in a patch.

I'd be getting him to fabricate a patch first, drill the holes, fix it to the internal bracket and then weld it all up, grind is back smooth and then it will be in the right place.

Just a thought.

That's very interesting James. Thanks for that. I wonder if all Zs have this? was planning on drilling a hole down from the top of the frame rail there to insert a sleeve/bolt that would tie that mounting point into a diagonal stiffening bar leading to the strut tower like that of thje PDK strut bar combo.

Too late guys, had the body man do it 6 days ago. He did (as 240znz said) remove the rotten portion and welded in a patch on to good metal after drilling the holes on the patch first. Nevertheless, THANK YOU ALL for the replies! I`m sure someone else will benefit from your advice!