IGNORED

Transmission Question

I am looking for parts to rebuild my transmission but first wantd to confirm the model I have.

According to the parts CD a F4W71A is correct for my early '71 bulid date 9/70. But since the engine was replaced with a 280 I want to postivley ID it.

I can't seem to find any stamps and only found a large L1 on the side. It is a four speed so I assume the CD is correct but want to verify. Also where can I find parts besides bearings and seals?

Best,

H Houghton

Hugh, the Type A is correct for your car, and is the one with the goofy shift linkage, AKA "monkey-motion" shifter. Mine is pictured below.

I rebuilt mine about 18 months ago. I'll dig up my parts notes and post what I used and where I got them later tonight.

post-8596-1415080634033_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150806340655_thumb.jpg

To be even more clear - if your 4 speed's chrome shift lever is straight, and bolts through a pair of rubber bushings in the linkage on the transmission, it is an F4W71A. If the lever is bent and has plastic bushings that mount in a hole for the lever to pivot upon, it is the later Type B 4 speed.

Arne,

Mine looks a bit different than the one you posted, there is an upright fork that the shift bar fits down between secured with a pin and two nylon bushings and there is a long flat bolt down plate forward of that. Could it be a F4W71B??

Best, H Houghton

Yup, that sounds like a Type B, as used from '72-78. My parts list won't help on that one, about the only thing that's the same are the synchro rings.

Another way to tell is whether the bell housing is separate, or cast as part of the main case. The F4W71A has a separate, bolt-on bell housing, the F4W71B's bell housing is part of the main case.

So is your tunnel opening enlarged, or has your shift lever been customized to allow it to work in the earlier tunnel opening?

For my F4W71A I bought bearings from a local bearing supplier. Everything else - seals, gaskets, synchro rings, shims, woodruff keys and sized snap rings - I got from my Nissan Dealer.