IGNORED

What Year Engine?

chiefmd

That poses a dilemma. I assume that everything associated outside of the engine is 78 280Z ie AFM, FI, etc. Timing should be setup for a 81-83ZX? The distributor is not from a ZX. What else should I be concerned with as far as setting up the engine to run correctly. Or am I being overly concerned. Thanks

That's definately a P79 judging by the hole for the cylinder head temp sensor which you won't use on a 78 so you need to plug that. Other than that, use the 78 specs as far as tune up and the components that match the 78s electronics and fuel system and you shouldn't have any problems.

Blake - The head number is P79 and block is N42. Thanks again for all the input.

The P-79 head is not from a turbo engine first off. I have the same head. P-79 is from a normally aspirated engine. The head has diamond shaped exhaust ports. The turbo head have square ports and are P-90 or P-90A heads. The block could vary well be a '78 or '79. Both have dished pistons. '81 - '83ZX blocks have flat topped pistons and are marked F-54. L-28 blocks all have dished pistons unless modified. The P-79 head is a 8.3 to 1 , or there abouts, on a F-54 block where it came from. On a dish piston block , unless it has been milled it would be a low compression combination.

Edited by beandip

That's what I said (kind of). What I meant to say in post 13 is that would be an 81-83 ZX non turbo head rather than engine but I did say non turbo. The block could be anywhere from 75-80 since it's a N42 but with the high number it's likely 78-79 like you said

Edited by sblake01

The block could vary well be a '78 or '79. Both have dished pistons. '81 - '83ZX blocks have flat topped pistons and are marked F-54. L-28 blocks all have dished pistons unless modified.

??????????????

N42 blocks all have dished pistons unless modified - -

FWIW,

Carl B.