IGNORED

Broken horn question

MariaAZ

Pardon me for this total newbie way of describing this...

Our 240Z's horn doesn't work. When I removed the headlight switch to clean the contacts, I noticed that the combo switch/turn signal part had a broken plastic tab on the bottom. I had pulled the switches off my 260Z earlier and recognized the broken piece as being what looked like a mounting bracket for a curved piece of metal that appears to be a contact point for the horn, and a loose red wire with a taped up end. I looked in my Haynes manual and couldn't find a diagram showing what it might be.

Is this broken bit a piece of the horn? If so, can be replaced, or do I have to replace the whole switch? I know the horn works as there is a button under the dash that activates the horn, though I haven't checked yet to see if it's directly wired to the horn or patched in through the harness.

The broken curved piece of metal is the ground contact for the horn button, The red wire in all likelihood use to be the positive contact from the horn. I say use to be since you say you now have a button under the dash that operates the horn now.

You might consider having one or both of your switches rebuilt by Dave, here's his post. I had my done recently...and they came back looking great, or he maybe able to repair, or tell you how to go about repairing the horn contact.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24304&highlight=Combo+switch+rebuild

Edited by peng155