IGNORED

E88 head on ebay

WABZ

It's a 260Z cylinder head. In the U.S. it came on the '74 260Z only. Not sure about the nuances of their application in other countries. 47.8cc Open combustion chambers, 42mm intake valves and 35mm exhaust valves. If it has valve seats installed they'd probably be bronze.

Edited by blue 72

No, I meant valve seats. I've seen pictures of NOS new in box cylinder heads, and they had guides installed, but no seats. Nissan didn't put hardened valve seats in our cars until sometime around late '77.

Interesting. I've not heard of bronze seats. I always assumed they were steel or cast iron. Ya learn something new every day.

Steve

Most 240Zs actually came with the E88, see this chart: http://datsunzgarage.com/heads/. So, there's a good chance it was designed for your 240Z depending on the year. Of course, maybe the PN makes it of the 260Z era, I'm no expert. I do know the E88 on the 1973 240Z and 1974 260Z were different. I think there were actually three different types of E88s. Carl Beck and others know much more, this is just what I've learned from osmosis hanging around this site. Also see this thread: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5416&highlight=E88+types

Edited by Go240Zags
Added info.

I've seen documentation that identified at least FOUR major E88 variations here in the US. (Mid-71, '72 small chamber, '73 large chamber and '74 big valve.) I've also seen a picture of an E88 from somewhere else (not North America) that had notched intake ports for injection. That one casting number was used a lot.

There were four types of E88 available in the states:

Very late '71 production (exactly the same as the E31)

9/'71 approx. -7/'72

8/'72-7/'73

8/'73-8//74

Each is different than the other. WABZ has the last one, the 260Z style E88. You can tell from his photo that it's one of the later two E88's because it doesn't have the 'bump' near the spark plug opening (and consequently smaller chamber) that the 9/'71-7/'72 E88 had.

Edited by blue 72

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! Mine is a late '73 240z so this head is the same as what my car had when new. I would have never known if it wasn't for this goldmine of a site where Z knowledge is huge! Just one step closer to fully original.

post-14093-14150806023491_thumb.jpg