IGNORED

Help! Tail Lights Out! 1972 240z

BenyaZ

So, i have been reading here for a long time but never really put in my two cents until now. I have a wiring problem that i just can't figure out.

My TailLights and Dash Lights are out and i can not get them to come back on. The lights should come on when you turn your headlights on, and my headlights come on perfectly fine but the other lights do not. I have checked every fuse and they are all good. I have also checked all the bulbs to see if maybe they were out and they are still good. My brake lights work fine, but my Taillights and Dash light are the problem. Dose anyone know what the problem could be or could it just be i need to rewire the entire back end?

Thanks for anyone's help or comments.

I'm not sure which fuse box a 72 has, console mounted or side panel mounted, but in either case, carefully check the fuse marked 'DOME LAMP-LUZ-INSTRU'. Should be a 10A. Don't just probe it in the fuse box. Take it out and check it making sure that the end caps aren't loose. And make sure that the fuse holders for that fuse are free of corrosion, etc.

Edited by sblake01

Pull the steering column cover

Check the green/white and green/blue wires on the switch, for power.

Your wires are either burnt or the contacts are burnt.

Use a volt meter to see if you're getting power from the fusebox. If you do, check the switch to see if that power is getting to the other wire. If it's not, the switch needs to be rebuilt.

Dave.

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

I checked all the fuses, pulled them out, tested and put them all back. All of them were working fine. I have the Console mounted fuse box. But i didn't have time to pull apart the steering column so i will check the wiring in there tomorrow after work. Thanks or all the help and suggestions.

I agree with grif260z. My 71 had melted from the back side and I got epoxy glue and filled in around the back where the wire was and the fuse holder is stable now and works fine. I also pulled a console and fuse box from a wrecking yard 72 and the same thing on that fuse box, melted on the back side. Doesn't sound like a ground if the taillights are working, but I would check it anyway.