IGNORED

Dash Bulbs - We've covered this before...

mikewags

I need to replace my speedometer dash bulb, although i can't seem to find any information on doing this in the FSM. I also cannot find any relevant information on the boards on how to replace the bulb without ripping the dashboard out.

I am not going to be taking the dash out again...i'd rather drive with no speedo-lights at night then go through that headache again. I also doubt that Nissan made a car that required dashboard removal to change a bulb.

So that leads me to ask, "How do i change the speedometer bulb?"

A step by step, pictures, or just any advice would be great. Information on the bulb size would also be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

How small are your hands?

Also, can you hold a light bulb socket with your ring and pinky fingers while inserting a bulb with your thumb and index fingers and turning it?

If the answer to #1 is Large

OR

The answer to #2 is NO,

Then you might as well get used to driving in the dark.

The easiest way to change the bulbs without removing the dash is to pop the Speedo or Tach out the front of the dash and replace the bulbs once they're out.

The center gauges are best approached from the glove compartment opening once you've removed the glove compartment box.

FWIW

E

I recently replaced the dash light bulbs in my '72, and I pulled the dash to get the speedo ones because I just could not get to them otherwise after spending many hours trying. I ended up having an issue with several of the bulb holders losing good contact on the back of the gauges and the lights going out when I hit bumps. As a result I haven't put the center stuff back in yet so I can reach back and attempt to get the lights working again. I got a long straight slot screw driver to push the speedo top light bulb holder back in and with a combination of that, a forehead light, and some small hands, you could possibly change the top bulbs without pulling the dash, but it would take awhile and be very frustrating for sure!

If anyone has any ideas how to get the bulb holders to stay in the back of the gauges and not lose contact so the lights go out, I'd be appreciative. I've tried retensioning the plastic on the holders, and the brass contact, and while better, it still pops loose sometimes. Having problems with the speedo and tach lights mostly.

Greg

My hands are normal sized. I changed my speedo and tach bulbs without removing the instruments or the dash. It was not easy. While changing the bulbs, you will knock loose the turn signal bulbs, bright light bulb, and the brake indicator bulb. You will then reinstall these in the wrong place, resulting in your brake indicator blinking instead of a turn signal, or some other silly mix up. You will then cuss, or whatever you do when upset. Take some time off, and get yourself relaxed before going back in, as you don't want to rush it and break something. Eventually, you'll get all the bulbs back where they go.

It does help to remove the steering wheel, so you can lay down with you head by the pedals. If you decide to do that, treat the horn button gently, as it can break. Best to turn it counterclockwise as you pull it straight off. Turn it clockwise as you push it back on.

You will likely nick your hands on some sharp stuff that you can't see. Keep some towels handy, so you won't bleed on your interior if that happens.

The good news is that I found a lose wire and found its socket. I plugged it back in, and the clock started working. Its been working ever sense.

For future reference:

The easiest way to make it easy to swap out the instrument lights is when you have the dash out and are returning the instruments to the dash. Tighten the wingnuts used to keep the speedo and tach only to the point of not slipping. That is, simply don't torque the wingnuts down, remember that when you go reaching for them ... once the dash is installed ... you won't have the benefit of using your wrist to remove them.

If you have so much vibration going on in your dash, that a wingnut can be vibrated loose.... check your tires / suspension, first then change out the instrument bulbs.

Once you have the speedo/tach loose, slip it out the front of the dash and pull it out just far enough to swap out the bulbs. Removing the steering wheel is a definite requirement (although I've heard of people not doing so... supposedly).

The harness should have enough room to allow you to do it without having to disconnect it but if you have to, it is far easier to reconnect the connector than to snap in the bulb holders firmly and properly onto the instrument can.

A dab of candlewax on the tip of your finger, just enough to stick to the washers (lock and flat) when you install them and then the wingnut, will allow you to re-mount the speedo and tach without going too far nuts.

If it weren't such a PITA to remove the seats, I would heartily recommend doing that before attempting any of this.

FWIW

E

ugh...this all sounds like a royal pain. I figured maybe i'd be able to reach up into the dash and get this done, but apparently that won't be the case.

Removing the dashboard is a pain in the arse, especially because of the forward bolts which hold it to the firewall. To remove those, you have to remove the windshield wipers/plate under them to unscrew those nuts. Then just removing the dash itself is a chore.

I will probably leave this alone unless i can figure a way to do it w/o removal of the dash. Maybe i'll take a peak and reach under the dash this week.

Does anyone have any diagrams that might help?

I unscrewed the speedo Cable and got it out of the way. Makes things a little easeir. I also used my double nect "MAC Tools" 2" pivot mirror. Once you have an idea of where things are, it slows the "Where the hell is the bulb" issue.

I have medium hands but a vivid imagination helps. As I feel around, I build a mental image of what is what. Do one at a time and have the replacement bulb in your mouth and ready for the swap.

Just don't hick-up and swallow it.

Dave

A diagram wouldn't really help much. I have a spare speedo and tach that I look at to get an idea where the bulbs are but getting that image in your mind and feeling around behind the guages in the car are two entirely different things. I do basically what Dave said but I use a small lighted mirror that I borrow from my wife (don't tell her). It is thin enough and must have button cell batteries and LED bulbs. I don't know where she got it or what it's designed use is but it sure works great for under dash type stuff.

i don't know about the rest of you guys but i had no problem at all replacing the tach and speedo bulbs...i even did the tach bulbs in a 7-Eleven parking lot, at night, without any tools at all....fun as i drew a bunch of onlookers :)

make your hand real small, undo the upper and lower wingnuts on the tach, pull tach through front of dash (Escanlon: yes it can be removed with the steering wheel on), while disconnecting wire harness and bulbs from tach. once tach is out, undo the speedo cable, and trip reset cable (with a really small phillips screwdriver) through the tach dash-hole, undo wingnuts from speedo, pull speedo forward while disconnecting wire harness and bulbs and out. replace bulbs.

install in reverse order.

personally, i didn't RE-install the upper wing nuts and cross bar that connect the speedo and tach together. the lower wing nuts hold 'em in good enough...

Edited by 7277

I can't get the wing nuts off my tach and speedo in my 73, so I couldn't get the instruments out. I need to find someone with small hands, but really strong fingers to break those wingnuts free. Maybe they make a wing nut tool that would fit on your socket wrench?