IGNORED

Trying to get Dad to work on the Z with me again...

zfreak72

Quick rundown... Mom and Dad are original owners of their '72. In 85, mom got the 300zx, and the 240 was retired to the garage. Between 1990 and 1996 it was hardly driven at all.

In 1996 I was pregnant and needed wheels to get to doctors appointments. Without any prep to the Z other than charging the battery, I started driving it. (In hindsight, we should all be slapped for that one.) In 1997, it started to overheat a lot. Between 98 and 2003, Dad and I replaced the radiator, hoses, thermostat, fan clutch, water pump, etc. The last thing on our list is the head gasket.

It has not been worked on or started since 2003, when Mom and Dad sold the house and moved everything to the new house about 3 hours away. (It was driven, not towed) I'm trying to talk Dad into finally pulling the head with me when I am up for Xmas break. (I am sure there is a writeup on it somewhere here in the forum, so I am not going to ask you guys to go into it again.)

Other than that, what else should we do, since it has been sitting so long? I must stress that it is very important to me that this remain a matching numbers car, since I would like to fully restore her someday. (If my mom didn't already crack the block when racing the engine to show off to some douche in a Z28 at a light in 2002.) I am guessing drain all fluids... gas, oil, brake fluid, and flush all systems. Maybe pull the gas tank and take it in to have it boiled out and resealed? Any lines that should be replaced? Anything we replaced before that we should re-do?

Also, if anyone lives close to Mariposa or Merced, CA, and would like to come and help sometime during the week after Xmas, please let me know! We will feed you and ply you with any kind of drink your little heart desires, pay for your gas, and maybe $50.

Thanks guys :)

I haven't really had much to post about since I haven't had a Z to work on. But I still log on every now and then to see what you guys are up to. It doesn't seem like there is as much activity on the list as there used to be, so here I am.

Dad said he would rather hold off on doing anything to the Z until he is done building the cabin. So looks like I am still not going to be wrenching on a Z anytime soon.

Thanks guys :)

Dad said he would rather hold off on doing anything to the Z until he is done building the cabin. So looks like I am still not going to be wrenching on a Z anytime soon.

If your Z runs at all now, I suggest that you do change the oil and filter, put at least 1/2 a tank of gas in it with some fuel stabilizer. Run the engine until warmed up , then shut her down. When cooled down pull the plugs and put a couple of teaspoons full of oil in the cylinders and with the plugs out turn the engine over . Reinstall the plugs . Stuff a oily rag in the intake of the air cleaner and the tip of the exhaust pipe. this will help to keep the moisture out of the cylinders. The Z will wait for you to do what ever you need . That is if it is stored indoors. By the way, when you do pull the head , have it gone over and a valve grind and new valve seals done. Welcome back. Gary