IGNORED

ZX Dizzy upgrade

Weasel73240Z

A quick search shows that there were 12 different part numbers and two alternate part numbers from 79-83 with the NA L28E. I could list them but it probably wouldn't help much without a yearly breakdown. To get that, I'd have to do more research in the Nissan Fast program.

The previous owner of my '72 had replaced the dizzy with one from an automatic car (dual points). He had hooked up the yellow temp sensor wire to the distributor for some reason. I was very glad to switch to the ZX dizzy, as the old dual points only let the car rev to 4k. Even with the D6K8 distributor I could only rev to about the 5.5-6k range with the stock head and cam, just remember that those can have an effect on rpm limit as well. Post mods there is no problem going to 8K with the same junkyard sourced dizzy (now it needs a rebuild though).

Just for reference, there are a few places on the net that show exactly how to wire in a later distributor in early and late S30's.

For instance:

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

http://www.datsunzgarage.com/engine/

As far as modules go, I have seen only three different (although they may have numerous P/N's). The E12-80 has only the two top prongs, while the E12-92 and E12-93 have two more on the side. I've posted before about how to wire in the E12-92 and E12-93 modules.

Let's assume for a moment that I live somewhere where 79-80 280zx's are almost non-existent in junk yards... (Which is very close to the truth):nervous:

Since I don't have a parts CD for the ZX, is it possible, or worth the effort to buy these parts from some normal, non-used parts source somewhere?

What would you expect to pay?

I know that most people seem to be able to pull these out of junk yards like strawberries at a berry farm, but some of us don't have that option.

Best bet for you, Walter, would be to buy a reman dizzy from Napa, or Kragen, or whoever you like in that vein. For example, here is the dizzy itself from Napa:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=NRD&PartNumber=48619&Description=Distributor+(Electronic+w%2fo+Module)+-+Remfd

The pros to doing this is that you get one with nice bushings and a rebuilt advance mechanism and such.

But there are a couple of downsides. The dizzies bought that way rarely come with modules, and probably never with the mounting tower. The modules can be found on other Nissans in the wrecking yards, lots of early 80's Nissan four cylinders came with the E12-80 too. I've got one I plucked from a 210 wagon, and I've seen them on numerous pickups too. Not sure if the mounting tower was used on anything other than ZXs, though.

Maybe some of us out West need to start plucking more of these things and re-selling them to the rest of the country.