IGNORED

Power Trip

gothfarmer92

Help me please! This will be a fun area for you smarter mechanics out there who love to watch a young car enthusiast start a quest for his very own machine. My car is awesome. I love my z. But it just doesn't kick enough tail to match my attitude. I need some small hints on how to make it a little more... beefy. I would like more power, and possibly volume. I want people to respect my little in-line six. But if it keeps getting its pride kicked by low power and quiet farting engine noises, it won't get very far. So... anything helps. Keep in mind i don't have proper funding or tools to do the big overhaulin' most of you would do to it. Thank you!

Serious power increases will require significant money. Power = money, how fast do you want to go?

That said, if acceleration off the line is the issue, you're best bang for the buck would be a rear axle ratio change. But the ZXs already have lower ratios than the first generation Zs, so even that might not be as affordable or effective as it would for an earlier car.

goth, If your Z is a 240 , as Arne said , lowering the rear gear ratio will give you more power off the line , if this is what you are after. A early Z with a manual trans has a 3.36 to 1 Diff. If you changed to a Diff from a Z that has a Automatic trans. This is a 3.54 to 1. You would feel this difference in the butt-O-meter. Another way is to install a 5 speed and a 3.90 to 1. With the 5 speed giving you a overdrive you will still have a Hwy gear that is reasonable. But you need to do both the trans and diff. with this change.

What are your expectations from this Z ? What year Z are we discussing here? How is it equipped ? Sus, Injection, Triples ?

Gary

Your stock zx should still prove a quick little monster. I would suggest that you start by checking all your vacuum lines, change the plugs (if needed), fuel filter, get a cone air filter, check all your electrical connections...

Basically, do a good quality tune up, including checking your distributor and coil...

How are your shocks? If you squat on a quick start, you need new ones- change those and the car will FEEL quicker and handle better. When was the last time you checked the brakes? You may find that a caliper is sticking (and driving with your brakes on slows you down, don't ya know).

Yes, this is a quick multi directional ramble, but these are all things that could be preventing you from reaching you stock potential.

Just remember this: our S130 body is the heaviest Z beast the L series had to move around.

We are not fast by today's standards.

Plain Simple Fact.

But put us on the twisties...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the help. I have since talked to my uncle who has said many of the same things. He said to start small (like my fuel filter and air filter). I have already changed the spark plugs and wires, the ignition coil, and (this was its cause of death for a while) my ignintion condenser. I blew a fusible link in the process, so i'm also sporting a new one of those. Mostly, I heard replies about speed. I'm not going for speed, really. but the oomph off the gun tips help. I was rather hoping for some more noise tips. (so pretty much, do these things sound brutal with a straight-pipe exhaust?) I have thought about it, but decided if it's just gonna be a louder fart, then it ain't worth it... Thanks once again, I hope to hear from some of you more!