IGNORED

1971 240Z Odometer Readings

RolfSis

:surprised Our '71 240Z Odometer doesn't have enough space for the actual readings, so rather than it having what is shown of 91,009 it has 191,009. Many 240Z classics I've seen here as well as selling on eBay show what appears to be mileage 100K short due to this. Is this a common thing, historically with this year Z ? I find it surprising that the creators of this great classic would be so short-sighted as to envision the life of a 240Z to be so short.

Forgive me, please, if I posted this in the incorrect forum. A novice, learning with thanks.

Asta

;)

Thank you for clarifying! Since that is the case, I can't help thinking that those who are showing their 240Z at really low readings either aren't aware or don't feel it important to add that left-most digit (tsk tsk). I'm thinking that's probably why when you look up history records for cars older than 1980 or 1981, there is no information.

Again, thank you.

You might be surprised either way. My car is truly at 66,000 miles, the odometer hasn't turned over. As Stephen mentioned, I have some documentation from prior owners to back that up. Not as complete as I'd like, perhaps, but better than most.

On the other hand, the drivetrain of these cars is very durable. There are more of these cars than you might think with over 200,000 or even 300,000 miles on them, especially here out West.

Thank you so much! Yes, Arne, we've been putting off the sale the past year since we both drove it weekends with much glee. We've taken it to a shop many times getting things updated and fixed as money allowed, since none of us are mechanical. After serious surgery, I no longer can drive it (too low for me), and with the rainy season on the horizon and the wipers not working, will definitely sell it no later than October, 2008. We've driven it only weekends and are at 191,009 miles, so less than 500 miles since February. Mostly my hubby's been driving it, and boasted at having taken it to frightening speed at least once without a hint of a problem. Scary for me that anyone would go THAT fast. I'm old school, tee hee.

We've had offers in the $2500-$3500 range but a number of them were from other countries or wanted us to handle transportation, etc. October, 2008 is our FOR SURE date to list on eBay and use Paypal to finalize. My online time is limited and doing eBay education to understand the process. Now that we've taken the price down from $4100 to $2800 with the various considerations (front bumper crack, wiper problem, sun-dried paint, rusty exhaust system, even though a new muffler was installed). The car sounds great, drives great, and will be missed. My brother (the owner) is ready to let it go; sadly we too.

Thanks again.

":0) Asta

It wasn't just Nissan; the million mile odometer didn't come into effect until 1980.

Actually, Volvo started putting "million mile" odometers in their cars as early as 1969. I knew someone who had a 69, and my 74 had 123,000+ miles showing when I bought the car.

On the other hand, I owned a lot of cars from the 80's and 90's that rolled over at 99,999 +1. I don't know the details, but I thought the decision on adding that extra digit was company specific.

It was a DOT requirement for the 1981 Model Year to combat odometer fraud. All models and makes were covered.

Things are slow to change when regulated by a government bureaucracy.

I assume that either you mean the Japanese DOT, or that you meant 1991, because I owned dozens of cars made after 1981 that did NOT register 100000 miles on the odometer.