crankshaft pulley - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

crankshaft pulley

Featured Replies

Now that the car is at the frame shop to be pulled, I have a chance to fire off two quick questions. First, I have a 3 sheave pulley on the crank. The outer one looks to be separate from the inner 2. Since my car is manual steering, and the air injection system is removed, I want to remove the outermost ring. Is this possible, or is the harmonic balancer one unit? Do I have to find a 2 sheave balancer?

Secondly, I am new to Datsun and my car is a theft recovery, so don't laugh at this but I just replaced the ignition switch and I need to know if one key operates all the locks eg. doors, hatch, glove compartment.

Thanks.

Ted.

I have removed my front section. I had to fill up the space in the remaining pulley with two steel washers, one 1.35" OD., the other somewhat larger, about 1.95", with an ID of .65". The smaller washer needs to be fairly thin. The goal is to duplicate the surface that the bolt bears on with the original configuration, so that the proper torque can be achieved. Nominal thickness should be .45" The two sheave balancer is the ideal solution, but I believe they are hard to come by. ( correct me if I'm wrong) I have enclosed pics of the front pulley so you can see what you are up against.

post-1730-14150804529142_thumb.jpg

post-1730-14150804529587_thumb.jpg

post-1730-14150804530142_thumb.jpg

post-1730-14150804530577_thumb.jpg

post-1730-14150804531119_thumb.jpg

Secondly, I am new to Datsun and my car is a theft recovery, so don't laugh at this but I just replaced the ignition switch and I need to know if one key operates all the locks eg. doors, hatch, glove compartment.
Yes, for late '71 and newer.

Regarding harmonic balancers the removerable sheave was for the aftermarket A/C units which also included a longer bolt. The OEM harmonic balancer bolt is made for the stock 2 sheave pulley.

  • Author

Perfect. Thanks for the pics. I'll be sure to check that the original bolt isn't too long before I put it together. Nothing like taking 1/2 pound off the crank for free.

Ted.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.