IGNORED

901 Silver question

mally002

I noticed on the Datsun color charts 901 is called Silver and Silver Metallic...Was it a metallic from the factory or just a silver enamel?

I will be painting the 73 I picked up last week in the near future and the original color is 901, I will be going back with that color but wasn't sure if certain years had metallic while others didn't.

Thanks,

Randy

PS.....If you have a 901 silver post up a picture please.

Edited by mally002

901 was a Metallic Silver right from the begining on the top surface of the cars. The paint used inside the car, and under the hood did not contain the metal flake and it was not clear coated. When metal flakes were added to the acrylic enamels in 70-73, they had to be clear coated to cover any metal flakes sticking up above the surface or skim coat of the enamel..

FWIW,

Carl B.

An additional note about 901. The original paint was mixed using a very fine silver metal flake. Most paint shops today do not carry that in stock. The silver metal flake in common use today is larger and mixed with some red or blue and sometimes both. It goes by different brand names like "fire mist"...If you want your 901 Silver to come as close to original as possible - be certain that the very fine silver metal flake is used.

BTW - that is also true of the Metallic Silver on 1970 SS El Camino's

FWIW,

Carl B.

See my gallery.....901.

Ken

If I told Mally02 how much money was spent on that paint job - he'd just die.:tapemouth

It is however a thing of beauty and has been a joy for Ken I'm sure.

Ken -you still owe me a set of washers. You can bring them to the convention in Cleveland.LOL

hope to see you there,

kind regards,

Carl B.

Carl: Your right about the cost of that paint job! However, the paint appears like it was completed just a week ago. As beautiful as ever and showing no defects or marks.

I hope to be able to make the Cleveland convention.....I will seek out the washers. Did Jim tell you he sat in the Silver Bullet during the convention in Dallas ?

I hope this note finds you and family well.

best regards returned,

ken