IGNORED

What Constitutes Automotive proof?

hls30.com

What proves a car is what the owner says (believes) it is.  

90 members have voted

1. 1. What proves a car is what the owner says (believes) it is.

• 1) A current owners word is good enough.
    • 2) Evidence (or Props) on the car.
    • 3) Serious evidence on the car(almost everything in place)
    • 4)verify and confirm all physical details
    • 5) a paper trail
    • 6) confirm that the papaer matches the physical details
    • 7) a verifiable paper trail.
    • 8) A verified Paper trail.
    • 9) A verified Papaer Trail that matches the physical evidence.
    • 10) everything feels right
    • 11) Everything fits together Paper trail, verbal history, Physical Evidence,
    • 12) who cares, EBays buyer protection will protect me if I buy through ebay.
    • 13) AN internet search
    • 14) Carfax
    • 15) a DVM trace on the life of the Vin.

John: 1979 was a very interesting year at Scarab Industries. They had moved from Campbell to San Jose... In addition to the two # 153 cars... Brian built two "track cars" ... He was in the midst of the EPA lawsuit and had made the first of his Turbo factory cars. .... This year was a "high water mark" for the company... He published his only catalog that had a lot of important data and option packages described. He took in a bunch of odrers for 1980 production. By 1981, while he continued to build superb cars... his business world was closing in on him. In mid-1981 he went bankrupt. Had a huge "fire sale" to pay debts and disappeared. A real bright footnote in Z car history.

His factory cars are very rare today. In 12 years I've found but less than 20.

Interesting - As I recall - Brian reported to John Ursel, that he sold the company in 1980 and the subsequent owns went chapter 11 in 81. That is why he had kept no company records personally - they were all left in the company files when he left.

Is that all BS by Brian? Do you suppose Royce Bateman might have an insight?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl: Thanks for your considerable experience in buying/selling collectible cars. As I stated in my post, I am by no means billing myself as the final authority on factory Scarabs... However, when the selling dealer contacted me and asked my opinion on the authenticity of the car, I told him what I have posted here. Of course when it comes to collectible cars .. it is always "Buyer Beware" ... but if the buyer and seller check out what ever resources are available.. then so much the wiser.

As far as posting my research, I gladly share this with actual owners... which is why (when all the posts on the blue # 153 started I joined the list) I am putting my contact information on a public list. Since I have a real passion for these factory cars. I am somewhat unwilling to state the "factory only" things that can help identify a real Scarab from a Kit. While these parts are virtually unobtainable, someone could try and replicate things to fool an unwary buyer.

Fortunately, factory Scarabs (with the single exception of the # 0001 "Sliver" car) are not in the same price/demand league as Hemi Cuda's or Boss 429 Mustangs or Yenko Cameros. So the prices (while higher than a nicely done Hybrid Z) are still within the reach of the average person wanting a bit of automotive history. This is why I try and help buyers determine the origin of their cars. Afterall, he made less than 200 and about 10% seemed to have survived.

But, please keep sharing your experiences in this field and help all of us (old dudes and rookies alike) with "keeping our eyes wide open" when thinking of buying a collectible.

Craig