power steering - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

power steering

Featured Replies

replacing power steering lines on wife's mustang. it was leaking red fluid which i presume is transmission fluid. should i replace with power steering fluid or should i use tranny fluid that was in it to start with? thankyou very much in advance.

Not trying to sound d!ckish, but what does the owner's manual instruct?

I have a 76 BMW that requires brake fluid for not only the brakes, but the power steering, as well.

It's been a while since I had to add fluid to my power steering unit, but I used to use regular ATF.

Someone else chime in and correct me, but Power Steering Fluid IIRC is simply re-packaged ATF.

E

I apologize, I was wrong. I checked the BMW. The CLUTCH uses brake fluid. The power steering has tranny fluid. DUH!

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author
It's been a while since I had to add fluid to my power steering unit, but I used to use regular ATF.

Someone else chime in and correct me, but Power Steering Fluid IIRC is simply re-packaged ATF.

E

i'm guessing ATF means automatic tranny fluid , but what does IIRC stand for?

If I Recall Correctly

Transmission fluid takes more heat and holds up better. At least that's what I've been told, I've always run it in all my cars w/ power steering w/ no problems.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.