Fan Clutch w/Short Depth - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Fan Clutch w/Short Depth

Featured Replies

Putting in a new aluminum radiator to handle the new A/C and the hot AZ summers. My fan clutch housing is too deep and I need one that won't make my fan hit the new radiator, any ideas? Can scour the junk yard, but hoping someone might have one that would work.

Thanks!

There were basically two types of plastic fans that were used. One that has it's mounting surface at the front and one that has the mounting surface at the back basically for the later cars with a three row crank pulley. Which fan do you have now? Is your car early enough to still have the metal fan or at least the clutch that came with it?

Here are the two different fans. Note the mounting surface locations. The first one will sit farther away from the radiator than the second one.

28v8zn8.jpgop314m.jpg

  • Author

Here is a picture of my fan with my existing radiator. I believe that the plastic fan is version 1 in your diagram above. I am trying to find a clutch assembly that doesn't stick out as far from the engine so it will not hit the aluminum radiator I am installing. It is a 280Z engine, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

post-9965-14150803573358_thumb.jpg

The fact that I can see the clutch through the openings in the side of the fan tells me you have fan type number two. 280Z engine or 280ZX engine? Generally, except for the 79 the ZX had the type two fan and that's what yours looks like. Take a look at my 78 clutch and fan. Even though the shroud is kind of in the way you can see how it sits back farther than yours. The one I'm holding in the picture is a good spare, same type as the one on my car and it works fine. PM me if you're interested.

post-3797-14150803579155_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150803579523_thumb.jpg

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I think Mr. Blakeney is correct, Mr. Duff. Looks like you have the ZX fan to me. Here is a picture of the clearance i have on mine. i replaced my original metal fan and clutch with one from a 260Z. I have an inch, at least.

post-8596-1415080357975_thumb.jpg

The ZX/810/Maxima clutches are actually a little taller than the S30 units. At least, the OEM ones. Compare the distance from where the clutch mounts on the water pump to the back of the clutch in your picture to my or Arne's picture. So the combination of a S30 fan clutch and fan will definately give you more clearance.

  • Author

Thanks, Steve and Arne, I appreciate your assistance!

Steve, I am PMing you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.