Transmission Swap_what can I use? - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Transmission Swap_what can I use?

Featured Replies

Hello,

I have a 1975 Datsun 280Z with a stock L28 engine (N42). I just bought a 5 speed transmission from a 280ZX. I am not sure which year.

Can I still use the starter that is attached to my 4speed trans on the 5speed trans?

Or is there a different starter that works only on the 5 speed trans.?

What other details should I worry about when I swap from the 4 speed trans. to the 5 speed?

Thanks.

Hello,

I have a 1975 Datsun 280Z with a stock L28 engine (N42). I just bought a 5 speed transmission from a 280ZX. I am not sure which year.

Can I still use the starter that is attached to my 4speed trans on the 5speed trans?

Or is there a different starter that works only on the 5 speed trans.?

What other details should I worry about when I swap from the 4 speed trans. to the 5 speed?

Thanks.

Starter you have is fine. Keep the throw-out bearing collar matched to the clutch pressure plate. If you are re-using your current 4 speed clutch, use the throw-out bearing collar from the four speed, not the new 5 speed. You may also want to move the speedo drive gear from your 4 speed into the 5 speed. That should be it.
  • Author

Thanks Arne. Your feedback is appreciated.

One question, is the speedo drive gear from a 4 speed different than a 5 speed.? What is the reason for moving the drive gear from the 4speed to the 5 speed?

The car the 5 speed came from had a different axle ratio than your car does. The gear needs to match the rear axle ratio.

The speedo gear on a 75 4 speed is the same type as the one on a 280ZX. The reason you would change it is to match up with you car's present differential ratio. Put the speedo pinion from the four speed into the sleeve from the five speed. The reason being that the offset is different and the 280Z four speed sleeve won't work in the 280Z 5 speed .

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

You may have to notch the 4 spd spdo carrier to match the retainer to use in the 5 spd.

Or you could swap out the gear from one carrier to the other.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.