Another tranny swap question. - Parts Swapping - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Another tranny swap question.

Featured Replies

Hey all.

I am changing an auto to MT. I have read Arne's Tech article and didn't want to hijack it with dumb questions. I have a few more things to buy but I think I'm getting close; however, I still need the fly wheel.

Question, Will a flywheel from a L24 work or do i need to source another one? their is a 76 at the u pull it, but i don't want to pull it. :nervous: any disadvantages to this? I have 2 fly wheels from a L24 if they will work it might save me some cash. Am I better of buying a new one?

The only differences I know of with the flywheels , is on the 2 + 2s . They have a wider friction area and use a matching clutch and pressure plate.

Gary is correct, the 2+2's had a larger diameter flywheel, as did (I think) manual transmission factory turbos. Other than that, all the same.

Not a larger diameter flywheel. How would you get the starter to work? I just has a larger diameter surface machined on it for the 243mm disc and 9 bolt holes for the pressure plate instead of 6. 2+2 and Turbo clutch are identical.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Doh! Very true, Stephen. I knew the disk was a larger diameter, but also know better than to assume the flywheel itself was larger too.

  • Author

Thanks guys. I am going to put a 4 spd in for now from a 240z. Do i need to order a clutch for that year tranny, or does that matter?

Yes. The plate, disc, and t.o. bearing have to match up with the trans.

Yes. The plate, disc, and t.o. bearing have to match up with the trans.
Actually, the key issue is that the throw-out bearing collar and the pressure plate must match. The rest is not as important. So buy a pressure plate for the same year as the car that the t.o. collar came from.

Don't forget the pilot bushing in the back of the crankshaft.

Gary is correct, the 2+2's had a larger diameter flywheel, as did (I think) manual transmission factory turbos. Other than that, all the same.

The friction disk on the 2+2 and turbo flywheels is the same diameter - 240mm.

Arne is also correct regarding the TO collar and pressure plate. It has to do with the distance between the pressure plate fingers and the TO bearing, which is dependent on the TO collar length.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.