IGNORED

'72 240Z at Barrett Jackson

kinfish

report by b. mitchell carlson

1973 datsun 240z coupe.

s/n hls3077430. orange/black vinyl & cloth. odo: 131,463. presentable older repaint with a smattering of touch-up nicks.small paint crack forming in the middle of rear hatch below latch release. original bumper chrome weak and dinged, light remenants of overspray on under-carriage. aftermarket performance open-styule dual air cleaners and spark plug wires,70's vintage indash marantz am/fm/cassette deck, heavily worn vents in dash. correctly reupholstered seats with little wear, door panels have some light warping. cond: 3-. not sold at $7000.

rerun on sunday, a no-sale at $7500. the excitement about first-generation Z-cars of a few years age has cooled down quite a bit since, and while this was a generally decent example, it was a long way from being worth the $12k reserve. either offer was repectable if not somewhat generous.

Agree with Rick Bolus on what the seller's actual net was after expenses. I could not locate what the 2008 seller's fee was on the website but think it was about 7% in the past. The seller also also has to buy a parking space on the lot which varies from $600 to $1200 depending on what day and time it goes on the auction block. I am sure he also pays an application fee.

The buyer has to add a 10% commission ($1,225) for Barrett Jackson and I think our Governor Charlie Christ wants his 6.5% sales tax ($796) on top of that. Buyers also pay a $250 application fee for being qualified to bid on any car up to his/her line of credit.

These auctions are terrific for "ego enhancement" on those with extra bucks burning holes in their pockets. It is no place to look for a bargain. However, it a great place to look at many excellent restored automobiles. Also there are many things to look at other than cars. The crew that sold a 1955 Austin-Healey powered by a Range Rover V8 also brought several shapely models from South Beach to attract attention to their cars.

I attended the auction on Sunday...I live 15 minutes from the site. I go every year. I went this year primairly to watch the Z car sell.

I looked the car over VERY thoroughly prior to bidding. My observations are as follows: I have NO IDEA how the car drives over the road. I'm also not certain if the A/C blows cold. I spoke breifly with the owner and he said it was cold. Nice Z car overall. Nice Driver quality paint---definitely NOT SHOW QUALITY. Interior gets a somewhat better than average rating. Certainly not finished to the level of a national show winner. Again VERY nice driver quality. Under hood looked clean but driven. But I'd call that aspect of the car average at best! Overall---that car is a STRONG number 3 car. With 2 being a show car and a #1 being a PERFECT, never driven trailer queen. Compared to some of the finely finished, surgically clean mid-year Corvettes in attendence---the Z car was just OK.

I also watched the driver crank the car 3 times to finally get it started/running in the staging area. Saw a bit of blue smoke on start-up as well. I think $12,225 is strong money for that car. As it would take quite a bit of sprucing up to bring it to near show level.

My opinons are...just that...opinions. And they are free. Take them for what they are worth.

I attended the auction on Sunday...-the Z car was just OK.......

I also watched the driver crank the car 3 times to finally get it started/running in the staging area. Saw a bit of blue smoke on start-up as well. I think $12,225 is strong money for that car. As it would take quite a bit of sprucing up to bring it to near show level.

My opinons are...just that...opinions. And they are free. Take them for what they are worth.

Hi Powerglide:

Your opinions are most likely far more accurate than the "hype" of "fully restored" in the item description. Thanks for sharing..

We'll most likely see the car on a Dealers Lot in the following months - priced at $21,500.00.....

FWIW,

Carl B.