New Cam, or machine current cam? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

New Cam, or machine current cam?

Featured Replies

Now, I am currently eye balling a Stage III cam. Now, can I have my current cam machined to the Stage III specs, or is that going the wrong direction?

You probably can, but you'll need to replace your pads with thicker ones as the non-lifting diameter will be reduced during the grind process. It'll probably be easier and a bit more precise to acquire a cam ground from billet.

Frank

  • Author

How do those compare to say a cam from thezstore? I am thinking of getting a Stage III kit from them.

Based solely on the lift and duration figures Motorsport shows on their website, their Stage IV cam is most similar to Isky's Stage III cam, and Isky has nothing comparable to the Motorsport Stage III you're considering. So I have to apologize for leading you astray in that respect.

That said, I've been running Motorsport's (Schneider) .480 lift cam for years on my street car with nice upper end power and a reasonable idle. It appears the cams through Motorsport are a bit cheaper but Isky's springs are $28 less expensive, so it's a wash price-wise. I chose the Isky cam it because it had the best specs for my type of racing.

Mark

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.