IGNORED

Tough Decision

spursfan55

Hello to all,

Having a little trouble deciding what to do. My son purchased a 74 260. Knowing it needed some work I towed it to the garage, put it up on stands and started to go through everything. I am new to the z cars but I am wondering as to why all the rust? I need to put new floor pans, the fuel lines are rusted, brake lines are shot as to alot of other things. We did take the rear control arms off ( tough job ) replaced all front and rear bushings with a Energy Suspension kit. The engine was rebuilt when we got the car but was out, now on a stand. Is it worth to replace the floor pans, fuel lines and do all the work? I am capable of doing these things, and this is going to be my sons first car so I figured it would be special. Or do I " part it out " ? The interior is showroom quality, seats ( no tears ) dash ( perfect ) console ( perfect ) the inner car is what looks the best. All the windows and trim are good. I need to figure this out. Any comments would be greatfull.

Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful world of Z cars. Rust is one the biggest problems that plaque these machines. In my opinion if all other things are in great condition with the car and it only needs some areas of rust repaired I would say keep the car fix it back up and put another one one these great machines back onto the road. I really do not like to part out Z's unless the rust is extreme and most of the body is really beyond repair but thats me I like the challenge and a good reason to bring out the MIG and work with metal. However you will hear from others saying that it might be best to pass it on but if you are capable of handling the work then do it. A lot of us on this site have completely restored these Z's from top to bottom so it can be done and I believe that it is always more special to have a car that you personally restored, that little bit of pride thing.

77 280Z

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/babry27/77%20Datsun%20Restoration/?start=all

Zs are hardly the only car to suffer this...Almost every car produced before the late 70s will have rust in the water-dependent regions of the unibody and frame. Poor paint/primer, non-galvanized steel, bad water control engineering (cowl drains, for example) all conspire against these 30+ year old cars...

...Worth it? That's your call. Most of us here would probably say yes, but it's your call. If the rest of it is as good as you say, then do it--especially if ou can DIY the welding. Zedd Findings makes great kits for this repair, and you'll save about $1000 on paying someone else to do it.

Ultimately, the process will be most important, as I hope this gives you and your son some quality time together and he learns how to be patient, plan correctly, do a job right and then have some fond memories.

Good luck,

Steve

That was what I needed, two sound pieces of advice, I am going to get rid of the rust and replace the lines and make it a car so he can be proud to drive. If anything the quality time with my son will be worth it. When I get done I will post some pics. Wish me luck.....

Thanks guys.

If I lived in Texas, I'd look for a solid body with as little rust damage as possible. The car you describe must have been flooded in salt water - or driven to Texas from Ohio...

If the floorpans and frame rails are rusted through - and the fuel/brake lines are rusted through - you can bet the rest of the body will soon follow...

As for "is it worth it"... that's up to you - I'd recommend putting the same amount of work and money into a better car to start with.

As an example of a 240-Z that has had reasonable care - here's a 71 that has all but perfect floors, frame rails ... they don't ALL rust like the 260Z you describe.

http://zhome.com/Katy71Z/Katy71OrangeZ.htm

FWIW,

Carl B.