IGNORED

stock tank or fuel cell?

bippu z

i've been wondering what the difference is between the fuel "tank" or a fuel "cell". My boss says that the cell is basically a box. But for some reason i think it's something more. Does it improve fuel delivery or something?

I believe the fuel cell has baffling and or sponge like material to prevent the gas from sloshing around in hard driving. I am sure there are also safety features that prevent spilling in case of a rollover.

I have been told that you need a much more powerful fuel pump for a fuel cell as well. This is just second hand info so let's have someone else confirm or deny this.

Brandon

(using Guy's sign in)

i've been wondering what the difference is between the fuel "tank" or a fuel "cell". My boss says that the cell is basically a box. But for some reason i think it's something more. Does it improve fuel delivery or something?

You have a gas tank on your car now. It's a metal container, with baffles, as well as fuel pick-up tube and most likely a fuel return tube. A place for a fuel level gauge is common as well. Pretty much standard fair for automobiles.

As the term "Fuel Cell" is applied to competition cars - there are a number of different configurations and standards set by the various competition sanctioning bodies (NHRA, FIA, etc).

The Fuel Cell "container" can be made of metal or plastics. The container (aka can) can be lined with a rubber bladder or not. It is always filled with Safety Foam. Various filler necks with different styles of venting can be used, and they usually have roll over safety flaps or balls, that close off the vents or fill necks when necessary.

Depending on the style of racing, the fuel pickup's are variously housed in anti-surge structures inside the fuel cell.

The Safety Foam is there to fill the voids, or empty space in the can - so that fuel vapors do not have a place to form, It's the vapors that are easy to ignite and therefore explosive. It used, the rubber bladder is there to contain the fuel in case the can is compromised.

The least expensive Fuel Cell are manufactured to various Spec.'s in various sizes... If you can use one of them you can save a ton. Having a Fuel Cell custom made can easily run $2,500.00 to $3,500 and they can be just about any shape you want.

The fuel pump used is no different than that used with any fuel tank.

FWIW,

Carl B.

In Space Technology - a Fuel Cell directly converts fuel to electrical energy. The dream of course is a Hydrogen Fuel Cell for automotive use... dream on.... It would be quite feasible if we derived at least 90% of our electrical energy from nuclear reactors. In that case the efficiency factors would not matter all that much.