Noise in rear. - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Noise in rear.

Featured Replies

Hey all,

When I start the car up, and sit in neutral, I have a very slight grinding sound (like a skateboard on concrete). As I drive the sound intensifies (not relative to speed). If I disengage the clutch then the sound goes back to how it is while idling.

I'm thinking it's the throwout bearing. Sound like the right symptoms?

Is there anything else that this sounds like?

Thanks for any info,

Alex

Throwout bearing would be my guess.

  • Author

I grabbed one for $25 (autozone) that had been sitting in stock for 10 years. :nervous:

Do I need any special pullers to change out the bearing? (or can I improvise)

I'm thinking it's the throwout bearing. Sound like the right symptoms?
No, actually it doesn't sound right for a throwout bearing. If your clutch is properly adjusted, the throwout bearing should only make noise when the pedal is depressed. Even if the bearing is touching the pressure plate when released (and it shouldn't be) the noise should be far worse with the pedal depressed.
  • Author

Now that I think about it, the noise while in neutral may not be the same as the noise I'm asking about. I think one of my rear calipers has frozen and that's the slight sound I hear when the pedal is down.

So: I hear a loud skateboard noise only when the clutch pedal is up.

Arne -> If it was the throw-out bearing then it would only happen when the clutch pedal is down? Damn. Any ideas?

[edit] I read your post @ http://classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=195801&postcount=5 and I think it's probably the output bearing. Will check tomorrow. [/edit]

Thanks for the replies.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.