IGNORED

"Sub Frame support connector" from Z-Specialties

76Datsun280z

I was looking at through on the Z-Specialties online store and came across this pricy "sub frame connector" that they sell that they build themselves. After I came across it and read what he says about it, I wondered what you guys thought of it and have seen anything like it.

frame20connectors20011fp3.jpg

http://www.datsunstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/620

http://www.datsunstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/620

Bad Dog subframe connectors look much stronger in the rear section. The front also looks better on the Bad Dog parts, as it goes all the way up the sides of the frame rail instead of just overlapping the bottom inch.

Also on the X, I really like that idea, but that looks like 1/8" x 2" strap bolted on in an X shape. I question it's ability to do much of anything productive in anything other than tension. A boxed structure would be much better, but I don't think there is a lot of room under the frame rails, especially if the car is lowered.

The price is insanely high.

X bracing was discussed on HybridZ recently and John Coffey (a member here as well) stated that:

"An X brace in addition to SFCs, as I've said before, will just add weight. The center part of a Z chassis doesn't twist in a way that an X brace will help, once SFCs are installed.

What the S30 chassis need badly is upper level reinforcement at the firewall and the strut towers. Connecting the front strut towers, upper firewall, and rear strut towers together does wonders for this 35+ year old chassis."

Here's a link to the entire thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127952

I'm not sure I'm convinced by John's argument. Not sure if he's done any testing to prove his point, if he has I haven't heard about it. The problem that I've seen is ground clearance when you add a tubular X between subframe connectors. The strap steel X pictured above is just not going to cut it though.

Not sure if he's done any testing to prove his point, if he has I haven't heard about it.

No testing, just some FEA done by Bill Savage of NPTI fame when we were reinforcing the Rusty Old Datsun cahssis. Reinforcing the already reinforced bottom of a box (one that already has SFCs) doesn't add anything significant. Think of what manufacturers go through to reinforce a convertible chassis - the big bang for the buck comes from reinforcement above the floor pan.