IGNORED

Triple SU's?

red_dog007

Well, can triple SU's be done easily?

Buy an SU for extremely cheap on ebay, and then a triple webber manifold? Or might you have to make your own manifold. Might even be able to do some mods to a current one?

If the SU's can already be tuned for really good performance, I think that it would be cool and much cheaper just to buy an SU and get a manifold instead of having to spend $1,000+ on a triple carb kit.

Ztheropy could answer that and it's been answered here nay a time. Use the search button and I promise you'll find it.

Z theropy had one and so did I. picture below. It's also been said to NOT do it cause the Stock SU's are more than enough, even for a well built L series motor.

These were mine before I sold the intake manifold, which was custom made using SU intakes. 3 intakes were used to make the one. 2 balance tubes were made into one long one.

full_view_front.JPG

full_view_top.JPG

Reading that thread, particularly the description off the working of that particular tri-carb set-up, I'm surmising that the intake pulsations and "dead" time are the biggest downfall to it, correct?

This has been debated to death here and on other z forums. The firing order of our engines is said to be the cause of the pulsation’s and dead air flow. The fact of the matter is every other inline 6 that had triple S.U.'s has the same firing order, examples are Jags, Austin Healy, and Triumphs. The manufactures of these cars did not have an issue with the firing order. Steve made it work and states the balance tube negates the pulsation that everyone is worried about. Good on you Steve your set up makes me green with jealousy.

I bought the intake from Dave that is in the photos on his post. The set up is different than Steve's in that the carbs sit much closer together, the middle float has to be relocated, but the original size air box could be used if it is modified with a third hole. I am planning a l28 build that will use this set up.

Dave

Well, the reason I was asking is because I had an idea. Probably someone else has already thought of it, but here goes.

Why not make a custom intake that run the runners to different cylinders? Rather than just going down the line, so to speak. Like instead of Car 1 feeding Cyl's 1 and 2, have it feed 1 and 3 (just as an example). Would it even anything out, or just stay the same? Be a bit of a pain to engineer though. I just was thinking that if you can't change the firing order, maybe you could switch runners around or something, have each pair feed whatever cyl's would even things out.

Or is the balance tube the only cure to the problem?

BTW this is just theoretically speaking, not trying to purport that the triples are better than duals or whatever.

Why not make a custom intake that run the runners to different cylinders? Rather than just going down the line, so to speak.

Or maybe just use slightly modified stock intake manifolds with slightly more modified dual SUs and make up to 240hp at the crank with the right cam and cmopression. Even more then that with a stroker kit and some big bore SUs... Just a thought.

Or maybe just use slightly modified stock intake manifolds with slightly more modified dual SUs and make up to 240hp at the crank with the right cam and cmopression. Even more then that with a stroker kit and some big bore SUs... Just a thought.
BTW this is just theoretically speaking, not trying to purport that the triples are better than duals or whatever.

Perhaps you didn't see that :)