IGNORED

Charging Problems

Reedemon

Hoping someone could help. I replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, and fuses. The charging system is working and charging the battery, however the output of the alternator is peaking at 16 volts and overcharging the battery. When I remove the negative terminal and and take a voltage reading the output of the alternator now reads 24 volts. I'm confused. Is there another regulator I'm un aware of? Help would be appreciated! Thanks

"tuned", I've never heard it described that way before:)

Yes, the reg. can be adjusted to do the right thing, but, I would suggest you let an auto electrician do it with all of the necessary whizzbangery meters connected at the time.

Ideally, the alternator should be outputting 13.8-14.6V no more.

Please don't disconnect the -ve battery terminal when the engine is running, can be really bad for the alternator and regulator:hurt:

"whizzbangery meters", I've never heard a multimeter described that way before. ;)

Adjusting the voltage regulator isn't any more difficult than adjusting the valves. I just didn't feel like transcribing the FSM or Haynes manual. I'm getting old and lazy. Anyway, if you have a Harbor Freight around, it's easy to find multimeters for $4 when they go on sale. It's good to throw one in the tool bin for a 30+ year old car.

I have also heard what Nissanman said that disconnecting the battery from the car while it is running is bad mojo.

"whizzbangery meters"

That is a technical term like "come in spinner!!"LOLLOL

Sure, if you are confidant about dealing with ELECTRICKERY, you can give it a go:nervous::nervous:

Most peeps I speak to are not very happy to do battle with it, your choice:rolleyes:

The procedure is a little detailed, but it appears that at least 2 people have access to the info. you require.

Just say if you want a copy:)

Thanks guys for your help, I only disconnected the battery for a few seconds to see if the alternator was truly working old school garage trick gramps taught me. Anyhow Nissanman I would like a copy of the procedure if you have it available so I can tune the regulator I have the necessary voltmeter to do adjustments any help would be appreciated. Talk to you soon.

Nissanman I don't know how to thank you for this info, it's pprinted and added tomy scroll of z jibber. But, I figured it out it wasn't the regulator,it was the frigging white wire it separted from the molex. replased the ends connected it together now it works fine. I put 150 miles on today cruising the peak to peak highway here in the rockies was nice up there today. Say in touch talk to you soon

Reed