IGNORED

NOS 280Z tank on Ebay

Jeff G 78

I just stumbled across this and thought it would be worth posting. This isn't mine! I just know how many of us have gone through tank rust issues. The seller does not know what year it's from. It isn't from a '78 because my tank has the sending unit on the top and the inlet/outlets on the front. This tank has them on the back with the sending unit on the front. I can't recall what my '75, or '76 tanks looked like, but I don't remember any of them having the sender on the front like this. Anybody know what year tank this is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/75-76-77-78-DATSUN-280-Z-NOS-FUEL-TANK-GAS-TANK_W0QQitemZ320168184719QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33556QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Stephen,

So 76 280Z coupes manufactured after 8/76 were the larger style tank? Just curious as to the time when they switched to the tanks found on the 77-78's.

Also did the 76 280Z 2+2's get a simular tank switch? I know for sure the 77 -78 280Z 2+2's had the space saver tires.

With three days left, it's at only $83. I would think it should bring between two and three hundred dollars. My POR 15 kit was about $60 and it took me a full weekend to clean and reline it, so I could see spending a few hundred for it. Anything higher and it would be cheaper to have an old tank refurbished by Renu or whatever they are called.

That tank does not look NOS (New Old Stock) it looks more like UOS (Used Old Stock). Would like to see the inside of it. If there were pictures of that then the price would be a bit more by now.. If it was new there would be no sending unit in it. The pads on the top would be cleaner and the drain plug would not be there.

Hey Stephen,

So 76 280Z coupes manufactured after 8/76 were the larger style tank? Just curious as to the time when they switched to the tanks found on the 77-78's.

Also did the 76 280Z 2+2's get a simular tank switch? I know for sure the 77 -78 280Z 2+2's had the space saver tires.

All the tanks after 8/76 which would be the 77-78 models are the same. 2+2 or 2 seater.

Good catch John. I hadn't even noticed the inconsistancies that you pointed out. The one thing I don't see is wear marks from the tank straps. The scuffs on the tank seem to be more like those that would come from sitting on a shelf for 30 years, than from being under a Z. Of course it could have come from a Z that was wrecked early in life. Who knows??? It sounds like the seller stumbled across the tank and doesn't really know much about it. If it ever did have gas in it, there's a chance it has some level of corrosion inside.