IGNORED

Fixing Passenger outside door handle

New-to-240z

Hey guys, been a while since I've posted on the forums. I've been really busy with the Z and work. But recently I took a girl out on a date and when she went to open the door it was still locked ( I guess she didn't realize that a 1973 car doesn't have automatic locks! ) and she pulled up on the handle pretty hard and broke the tab.

Now, if you're outside the car and looking at the handle dead on, the tab that broke is on the left side. You can see where it broke when you pull up on the handle and see the end is missing/broken. I was wondering how do i go about fixing this?

First off, how do i take off the interior door panel?

Second, will I need to take out the window?

Third, Is anyone in Orange,CA willing to help me out on this one? ( Bob, wink wink!)

Thanx for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

-Matt

First; smack that girl.

Second, let her know that replacement handles aren't cheap. Tell her she can expect a bill. (How strong was this girl anyhow?)

Third, you might be able to swap out the left for the right and vice versa. However, it WILL involve removing the door panels. You may not need to remove window depending on your hand size.

FWIW

E

This takes about 1 to 3 hours for both doors depending on all that you do in removing the handles and fiddling with things in the door while you already have the door panels off ... while your door handles are off I suggest:

-- looking for and securing the lower window stop

-- greasing the window tracks

-- replacing the window channel felt if need be (the window will rattle when it is lowered inside the door if it is bad)

-- think about adding some sound insulation to the doors if you can, B-quite is some goos stuff. It will take the "ting" noise out of the door and give it a nice thud.

-- Adjust the locking mechanism so that when your girl goes to open the door it will open earlier in the up-pull of the handle.

The handles don't require the removal of the glass (normally) for replacement, but they can be a PITA with small bolts. My small 8 mm ratchet wrench was great and some patience. It's work for nimble hands, but it can be done.

If you do these things your cars doors should be good to go for years to come!

Anyone have any good documentation on how to remove the interior door panels so i can do this job? I don't have the $$ at the moment for a Haynes or Chilton's manual. Plus I'm going to be broke from the handle itself. ($47.00 fore 1!!)

I looked and found Door Mechanisms . . . Will i need that too? Or just the actual handle? The Mech. is another $130!!!!

Removing the door Panel

- first take the screws out of the arm rest thing (easy) then that handle thing you can grab, you'll have to pull those chrome plastic pieces off.

-for the actual handle on the inside there should be a little lip in the black plastic you can stick a screw driver in and pop off. There will be a screw to unscrew, pretty simple.

- Hard part is the window crank, there should be a little metal clip that you have to pull off, you'll need tweezers or needle nose pliers, its in between the crank and the panel, once the clip is off the handle will slide off.

- unscrew the chrome lock thing at the top

-slowly pull the panel off, there held in with a metal piece that pops into the door, not to sure how to describe it, anyways it fairly simple to pop off.

It should be off now and just hope you have small hands to get inside the door.

Here is a door handle for $9.99 (16.99 w/shipping) if no one else bids -- this guy has got at least one more right side door handle and many other parts for sale on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-R-Crome-Door-Handle_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQihZ006QQitemZ160156791893QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

yea, that guy is a cornucopia of datsun parts. but only 1 pic and no description. multipuls of same parts.

I work in Orange, at the intersection of Glassell and Grove. I can swing by sometime after work and help out if needed.

I have not had to mess around with my handles, but I have had the interior panels off while I swapped mirrors, installed sound deadening, etc., and I figure myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined.

Drop me a PM if you need some help.