IGNORED

Lookat What I did!

KDMatt

So, Minneapolis to NW Indiana? Heck, that's just a couple more hours...

7 hours, 20 min

and in a Z???

No way buddy, not happening in my Z... too noisy, and the ride quality is awful... maybe once I finally can figure out how to change the diff fluid (so it doesn't whine as much) and replace the shocks and springs... and the weatherstripping and have decent AC ... then maybe I can roadtrip in it...

Who, HIM??? Never saw him before!!!

Hrm, it wouldn't be entirely untrue :nervous:

On the bra thing.... If your front end is indeed looking ratty and in need of "camouflage", then by all means go for it. It will hide damage and divert the eye from the surrounding areas. However, do take note that you will have to pay extra attention to that area if the bra isn't attached and fitted properly. It will rub and chafe the paint.

FWIW

E

Thanks for the tip E! duely noted!

KDmatt, I am looking to replace the injectors on my Z. Unfortunately, the cheapest new ones I have found are $75 ea. These were @ NAPA. Would you mind sharing with us where you found yours and how much $. In your initial post, you mention checker (Kragen out here). I will check their website.

Matt

Why get new injectors? Unless yours have failed, just get them cleaned. Mr. Injector on Ebay will clean all 6 injectors and provide you with a bench flow report for $70ish dollars.

Beat me to the punch, that's exactly what I did.

I bought a used set on ebay for $5, then sent them to Mr. Injector (his name is Bill) ... and got them back the following week with a flow report indicating that they were all totally flawless.

Total cost was about $100 for the injectors. You have to initially ship the injectors to him, so the 80's ish dollars you spend for his service on ebay is actually just paying for the cleaning/refurbishing and the trip back.

Well worth it though, no complaints! :)

EDIT:

Here's the address to his ebay thing... did I also mention he included a couple of butterscotch candies in the envelope the injectors came back in? ... He must know what a bitch it is to replace them in a Z! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASNU-Ultrasonic-Fuel-Injector-Cleaning-Service-6CYL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQihZ009QQitemZ190135307890QQtcZphoto

They are removable, but you need to be careful. There have been discussions in other threads about how to remove the rubber line, but this is how I did it on my set of spares (the rubber was brittle and rotted).

Using a new exacto blade, I cut down lengthwise from the free end in order to find the end of the injector. Do this slowly, since you don't want to mar the tip.

Once you have found the end, realign the blade so that the cutting edge is facing outward. Leverage it in between the injector and hose, and slowly work your way down to the metal retaining ring.

Once you are at the ring, it gets more difficult to work because the hose has been crimped in there, and is much denser.

A little swearing and persistence will get you through the last bit.

Just take your time, and it should go well.

Others have mentioned using a soldering gun to melt/soften/burn the rubber away, but you would need to be very careful to not damage/melt/warp the injector, but if you are comfortable with the gun (and take your time), this might be the easier way to go.

MBC,

Don't sweat the minor 'hijacking,' if nothing else this thread is a great conduit to open up a dialog about this project and can serve as a resource for those who wish to do what I did.

Now about the hoses, Bill from Mr. Injector actually replaces them. The ones I sent out to him had the same sort of funky thing at the bottom affixing it (one even had a torn hose) ... and they all came back with new ones, so if you're planning to send them out, don't sweat the hoses... on these cars (at their age) they usually get a little beat up with the removal of the injectors anyway.

KDMatt,

I noticed in your initial thread that you purchased the connectors as well. I have not located these yet. Are they from CSK too? or Mr. Injector? I will search the forums too.

I have to tell you guys, compared to the other Z car forums, the demeanor here is very mature and professional. Here, there are far fewer flamethrowers, and omnipotent administrators.

MBC,

I acquired the new connectors on ebay as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/injector-connectors-kit-6pc-datsun-280z-280zx-300zx_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33553QQihZ019QQitemZ290155376831QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

He also sells individual ones... I purchased a 7th one for the coolant temp. sensor and he sent it as one package.

I hope this helps too :)