IGNORED

Wont Start, no click, no lights, no nothing

ZcarsRock

Ok it was fine till this morning and here is what happend. I started the car and it idled fine for a few seconds, then died, i recranked it and pulled full choke to warm it up. Initially the engine revved to about 2500 rpms just fine, but then it started sputtering like it was fireing on about one or maybe 2 cylinders for several seconds, so i shut it off. I went to restart it and the rear dome light blew out and the car would not so much as crank over. I charged the battery and replaced both battery cables, but there is nothing i turn the key and no lights no click, no nothing. All fuses are intact as well. My daughter and i pushed the car the 300 feet to the Car Quest Shop in our town...Any ideas? Please help as it is my only ride to work for the next week.

Not sure why this happened but it sounds like your fusible links have blown. It is usually caused by high draw or near capacity draw. If you have a dead or nearly dead battery you can blow them as the alternator will try charging and overload it.

This is what I've been told, someone correct me if Im wrong and if this has nothing to do with Rocks problem.

Good luck and hope someone with more zexperience can help you out.

Check to make sure your fusible link has not burned up. It is about 16/14 gauge wire that runs from the wire harness along right side framerail to the starter. I had one burn up once and nothing will work as this is the main power wire to the rest of the car. I replaced mine with a 16ga set-up for a Ford from AutoZone. It cost me like $2.

I'd check that first.

Thanks Kmack, now that you mention that i remember a slight whif of burnt plastic while i spastically turned the ignition key. So this fuseable link is nothing more that a 16gauge wire? running to the starter? Where does it connect to from the starter? to the ignition terminal? I sure hope this is all it is.

you guys are great!!

Tony

The fusible link is a wire that is designed like a fuse. It's made to burn up if too much current (amperage) is pushed through it.

It is connected directly to the starter. Open the hood,, and on the right side (looking at the starter), you'll see a second wire attached to the positive side of the starter. One wire is the Big red one from the battery, the other is the fusible link. From the starter, it runs over to the side of the car and into the wire harness. It should have a spade-type connector somewhere in the middle (between the starter and wire harness). That section is the fusible link.

Hope this helps.

If the fusible link did burn up, you might be wise to check for the cause of it before you try to re-start the car.You said the dome light blew? You may need to get yourself a new voltage regulator while you are at the parts store. Only 20 odd bucks, but might be good insurance.

If your voltage regulator has been overcharging you should notice loads of white powdery stuff on your battery, its terminals as well and near the inner fender and even maybe under the inspection cover lid. All this acid spews out of the battery when it gets over charged. It's a good idea to take the battery out and neautralise that white stuff as it is acidic and will eat at the body work. If I remember correctly bicarbonate of soda and loads of hosing down will do the job.