IGNORED

Black Pearl build quantities

bobs77

.... I spent a lot of time around the Datsun dealerships back then and even worked at one (for a minute-as the saying goes) if you call washing/detaining cars working. Basically, I was such a pest to them, they gave me a job.

Oh Stephen, now I remember you !!

Put that buffer down - and step away from the car! LOL

Carl B.

As with all Classic, Collectible and Special Interest cars - Documentation, documentation, documentation. That is the best way to tell the real thing from a clone. That is also why a full documented example will sell for more money and sell faster.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Unfortunately for me, There is only one document in my possession that states my car is a BPE. This is the front page of the owners manual where the salesman filled the new buyers info upon delivery (Terry Allen Autos, El Cajon, CA 7/16/78). On the inside cover there is mention of the paint code, the box reading Nissan factory air is checked, and the trans is noted as a 5spd.

However, even though the car's finish has deteriorated considerably, I see no evidence of a repaint. There are remnants of the striping inside the door hinge areas, and someone removed the louvers. I do still have the aluminum racing mirrors on the car. Upon removing the carpet and spare tire, I noticed the paint is clearly black. Even up under the dash, and the engine bay. The emissions stickers, pnt code, and vehicle i.d. tag appear authentic and in their correct place with no 'ridge' of paint around them.

Honestly, it's not all that important to me that my Z may be a "collector edition" Z. By now, I feel that any Z is a collector and should be treated accordingly. This means if one wants a vintage SCCA racer, a garage queen, or a daily driver, they'll know that just keeping them on the road (or track) is doing the Z car justice...if that made any sense.

Off topic - nearly $600 for the A/C option, makes the aftermarket kits available for $700 to $800 for my 240Z seem like a pretty good deal considering it's nearly 30 years from 1978.

Unfortunately for me, There is only one document in my possession that states my car is a BPE.

Fortunately for you - you have owned the car for 13 years. No question in your mind that it's a Black Pearl Edition. Very few people would have bothered to create a clone back then - and try to pass it off as the real deal. You also have more documentation than many...

Honestly, it's not all that important to me that my Z may be a "collector edition" Z. By now, I feel that any Z is a collector and should be treated accordingly. This means if one wants a vintage SCCA racer, a garage queen, or a daily driver, they'll know that just keeping them on the road (or track) is doing the Z car justice...if that made any sense.

Make perfect sense to me. As does your earlier statement quoted below:

It's obvious that these Z's are worth considerably more in original shape; restored ones worth less, and imitations relatively worthless- comparatively speaking of course. If the winning bidder pays less than $3000 and it's a Pearl, that's a good deal. If it's not a Pearl, the high bidder paid market price for a (seemingly) good condition Z.

As I recall - the last Black Pearl on E-Bay with 20 some thousand original miles, in near pefect condition sold pretty quickly for $25K or $26K.

On the other hand if you started with a ragged out example - and actually restored it - you'd be spending over $50K today.

FWIW,

Carl B.