What is this part? - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

What is this part?

Featured Replies

I found this in my trunk.

I was wondering exactly what it is.

It has 20 teeth on it and I'm assuming it was switched out for something better or stock as parts of the car was already rebuilt or "refurbised" so to speak when I

bought my 1977 280Z 4 speed.

I also found an Oil pump and an AFM Meter along with

a winsheild removal tool set still in the package under the driver seat :ermm: :tapemouth

post-13541-14150800861402_thumb.jpg

post-13541-14150800861891_thumb.jpg

~Z~

post-13541-14150800861102_thumb.jpg

post-13541-14150800861569_thumb.jpg

post-13541-14150800861737_thumb.jpg

post-13541-14150800862055_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Thyanx Vic ^_^

How you been?

What is it supposed to do exactly?

I know the Oil pump was replaced and the Oil meter guage doesn't read correct becouse of it.

The meter hovers at around 0 to 6lbs and I'm looking for the sensor for that why I'm at it to make sure it's connect right.

the gear is rotated by a helical gear on the crankshaft. that rotates the shaft. the locator on the bottom (near the gear) is an impeller for the oil pump, and the other side rotates the dizzy

The oil pump doesn't have anything to do with the operation of the oil pressure gauge itself. The gauge operates from the sensor on the passenger side of the block. Either you gauge is bad or the sensor is bad. Or the connection to it is bad.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
The oil pump doesn't have anything to do with the operation of the oil pressure gauge itself. The gauge operates from the sensor on the passenger side of the block. Either you gauge is bad or the sensor is bad. Or the connection to it is bad.
Or, all that stuff could be good but you might really have low oil pressure...
Or, all that stuff could be good but you might really have low oil pressure...

At which point I remove the sensor and screw in a mechanical pressure gauge and test it that way. Everytime I've done that the pump has been ruled out and it ends up being the gauge, the wiring, or the sender. I've only done that 5 or 6 times that I can recall and never found a bad oil pump on any of the cars I have tested.

  • Author
Or, all that stuff could be good but you might really have low oil pressure...

Ouch :eek:

Thyanx all for the replies, needed that :)

I thought it was part of the Rear Diff or a Trans Gear.

I'll check that Oil Problem with those suggestions this weekend when I try

and solve that "Piston Head clearence" problem by checking my Lash Valves,

Rings and Valve Stems as suggested by members in another thread to see if thats causing my "truckish, rattleling" noise :)

Hopefully I'll get Ruby back in Tip Shape by Lady Hunting... I mean, ahhhhhh, Cruise Night :D

~Z~

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.