IGNORED

Front Brake Question 1972 240

barth4567

I had my brakes redone about 6 months ago. Same shop that has always done my brakes. My right front started squealing about a month ago and it was driving me nuts. I had another set of brake pads in the garage so I decided to have them put on. They were a high quality metallic racing pad. I got to tell you it really made the problem much worse.:mad: Both sides squeal now. I also notice the rotors develop surface rust overnight. It is parked inside always and the weather has been dry. Is that normal? I am thinking of getting some OEM Datsun pads and trying that. Possibly replacing the rotors as well. I have had this particular car for 5 years and this has never been a problem. Anyone have some thoughts or advice on this? Thanks

I had my brakes redone about 6 months ago. Same shop that has always done my brakes. My right front started squealing about a month ago and it was driving me nuts. I had another set of brake pads in the garage so I decided to have them put on. They were a high quality metallic racing pad. I got to tell you it really made the problem much worse.:mad: Both sides squeal now. I also notice the rotors develop surface rust overnight. It is parked inside always and the weather has been dry. Is that normal? I am thinking of getting some OEM Datsun pads and trying that. Possibly replacing the rotors as well. I have had this particular car for 5 years and this has never been a problem. Anyone have some thoughts or advice on this? Thanks

It most likely wasn't the first set of pads, and you most likely made it worse with the metallic pads. The metallic pads have very fine shreds of metal in them. That is there to dissipate heat more rapidly in heavy brake use situations. The metal shreds can leave very fine metal shavings on your rotors.. and they rust over-night. Not really a problem if you drive the car frequently. A couple steps on the brakes usually cleans it off again.

The squeal is most often caused because the anti-squeal shims are too weak, not changed with the pads, not reinstalled correctly or left out all together. There is also an anti-squeal compound that is supposed to be used between the pads and the pistons in the calipers... many shops fail to use it or install it incorrectly. The third thing overlooked when a shop gets in a hurry is Disk Brake grease.. that should be used on the pins, on which the brake pads hang.

FWIW,

Carl B.