IGNORED

new rebuild, won't crank anymore, help!

2003z

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally got my engine all back together and in the car and got to the point of starting it. It cranked for about 5-10 seconds then stopped. I thought it was the battery, but I've had it on a charger for over an hour and still nothing. I can see the engine move a little when the starter teeth engage the flywheel, so the starter is def. moving.

Is it possible for the engine to sieze with only turning that long? Is there a way to check if its siezed without pulling it and taking it apart?

What should I do next?

thanks in advance

Pull all six spark plugs out. See if you've got liquid in any of the bores - coolant, oil or fuel. You may have a leak of some sort that has filled one cylinder with liquid and now it's fluid-locked.

Pull all six spark plugs out. See if you've got liquid in any of the bores - coolant, oil or fuel. You may have a leak of some sort that has filled one cylinder with liquid and now it's fluid-locked.

I did pull the plugs to try to turn the engine, found fod in the #6 cylinder. Looks like somehow one of the valve contacted the spark plug and smashed the tip and broke at least a piece of it off. Def, have to pull the engine again and disassemble to see where the problem is.

I did pull the plugs to try to turn the engine, found fod in the #6 cylinder. Looks like somehow one of the valve contacted the spark plug and smashed the tip and broke at least a piece of it off. Def, have to pull the engine again and disassemble to see where the problem is.

Sorry, but what is "fod in the #6 cylinder"??

Regards, Jack

Thank you for that!! Once again I have learnt something new today. I trust the "fod" has caused minimal damage and you can repair it and get on with starting the rebuilt engine.

I am contemplating engine and transmission removal and rebuild at the moment. Of course the biggest concern is the money that keeps draining into my car!!

However, I am "refreshing" the car and every step leads me to considering more things that maybe I should do whilst I am waiting to complete the other jobs. It seems an open ended "plan" that keeps developing as I go along.

Several years ago I completed a ground up restoration of a 1952 Chevrolet which was my fathers car. That turned out to be a big job, and I think I am trying to avoid that with the Fairlady 240Z!!

The Chevrolet has now been in the family more than 54 years.

Regards, Jack

just looked at it again, and the valve definitely has to be bent. I can see it right next to the spark plug hole, and it should be on the other side of the engine. After assembly, I turned the whole thing a few revolutions via a wrench on the crankshaft, so there shouldn't have been interference.