IGNORED

280z mods vs 350z stock

msc247

Yes, maybe, and no. What are the specific mods to the 280Z? What performance metrics are you talking about? Who's driving the cars?

I've seen a basically stock 280Z on R compound tires beat a modified 350Z around a race track. I've also seen a stock 350Z beat a highly modified 240Z around a race track. On any given day on any given track, a 280Z can beat a 350Z. Same is true the other way around.

Thanks for the reply, I guess the reason I am asking; Is the performance engineering of the 280z that good even though it is 30year old technology and besides the obvious i.e abs, air bags and the electronics the cost difference of a 350z and the cost of a modified 280z; It seems more cost efficient to put your money into restoring and modifying a 280z that has already bottomed out on depreciation, than buying a 350z that is going to keep on depreciating.

I think Yes, I can beat some V-8s that are out there. If you want faster put a v-8 in your car. If you want a nice riding car with the arse to race others then buy a 300ZXTT. I have both and love the 76 for the AHHH factor but I also love the 300TT for the WOW want a beauty and she is fast. I guess I am lucky the wife likes to race.

well, since i have both a 280 and 350 right now, let me say, the 350 is awesome for an all motor car.

but, a sr20 or rb26 280 would be way better.(and maybe cheaper, depending on which 350 model.)

i love the 350 but its very expensive to mod, and just not fun to work on.

but the younger hot chicks do love them.

i guess it depends on how you drive and how much you like comfort vs. old school.

tony

I see this as a simple choice between a classic car and a high tech car. Either one will cost you plenty, but the 280Z will stand out more whereas the the 350Z will blend into the crowd of newer cars. If it were me, it would be a choice between the 240Z and the 300ZX (Z32). I've always disliked the rear of the 350Z from the rear and the side. It looks like a toad and is aptly named so by those who feel the same way.

Either one will cost you plenty, but the 280Z will stand out more whereas the the 350Z will blend into the crowd of newer cars. If it were me, it would be a choice between the 240Z and the 300ZX (Z32).

I agree with you enigma on that statement but I get more AHH talk about the 280Z than my 300ZXTT but when it comes to fast the 300ZXTT has it totally rapped up. We will see after the turbo swap ROFL