IGNORED

LOUD ringing noise from inside . .

New-to-240z

Hey guys,

I have checked all the grounds i could find in the engine bay, and everything seems to be ok. But here's my problem . .

When i start up the car its fine. Engine is running and no noise. When i move it into gear Drive, Reverse, or anything else in gear, It makes this EXTREMLY LOUD WHINE noise. I think it is coming from the dash or the actual shifter. If i put it into park or neutral, the noise goes away.

I don't know if anyone else has ever had this happen, I'm just hoping someone can help me pinpoint the problem.

-Matt

At a WAG, someone has hooked up the starter interlock wiring with the key-in buzzer or the Fasten Seat Belt buzzer that kicks on when you put it in gear.

You don't mention the year of your car, so all we can do is take Wild A$$ed Guesses.....

E

haha, sorry Its a 73' Z. I haven't put on the seatbelt yet to see if that's the problem. Will check when i get home. :) hahaha Well, i don't think its the Key in buzzer, since its only while in gear. I think the seat belt is probably a better guess. Will report back.

If the wiring under your seat is connected to the body harness, and the buzzer is working, when you put it in gear, it buzzes. Check the seatbelt light in the fuse box cover, with a new bulb. I bet you it will light up while the buzzer is working. Same thing happened to my '73 build 10/72. To remedy this, disconnect the buzzer, behind the AC panel or plug in your seatbelt to the same wiring harness and put your seatbelt on. :)

Check the seatbelt light in the fuse box cover, with a new bulb. I bet you it will light up while the buzzer is working.

What exactly do you mean check with a new bulb? Do you mean use the tester that has a bulb at the end of it and put it in gear to make the light come on? Sorry, I'm not much good at electrical problems. I'm pretty uhh . . . limited :)

You can either test it or replace the bulb, or make sure there is current running there. The buzzer you are talking about is the seat belt alarm buzzer. There is also a light attached to it that is in the fuse box cover. When you look at the cover there is a switch for the rear defrost, a light for the choke and a seatbelt warning light. If I had a pic I would post it.

You can either test it or replace the bulb, or make sure there is current running there. The buzzer you are talking about is the seat belt alarm buzzer. There is also a light attached to it that is in the fuse box cover. When you look at the cover there is a switch for the rear defrost, a light for the choke and a seatbelt warning light. If I had a pic I would post it.

Is this by chance the pic you hope you had? If so, this is where the noise is coming from!! :) I think ur right. I will go down to the house today and check it out. Will post results tomorrow.

(on a side note, does anyone know what the switch on the top right could be for? The PO said when he got the Carbs rebuilt the guy put that switch there for extra fuel. But, I was like " i don't see how a switch will do anything since carbs don't have an ECU for fuel.)

post-14277-14150800290767_thumb.jpg

The Red fasten seatbelt light. Yes that is the pic. Check to see if it is connected and see if the bulb needs to be replaced. If the light comes on the same time the buzzer does then put your seatbelt on. :) That cover sure looks better than mine.

I am not sure about the switch. Chase the wires and see where they go???