IGNORED

Spindle Pin Bushings...

Well it is starting to look like the next two weekends are the weekends to do the Diffy swap and the Spindle pin pull and redo the bushings.

Those bushings are wore out, you can actually move the drivers side wheel to and fro by hand with the car on the ground. Fun.

Think that is the cause of the car doing the changing direction from the rear unpon accel / decel, eh?

Anyway, anyone know the part number and best place to obtain the pin bushings?

Appreciate it...

If you go with polyurethane bushings the best prices that I've found on Energy Suspensions brand bushings are at Summit Racing.

May I suggest contacting Gary (a.k.a. "Beandip") to borrow his spindle pin puller if your spindle pin gives you any trouble. I used it and it was a lifesaver.

After you purchase the ES bushings, I would measure the ID of the inner sleeve. I've found in several cases for this dimension to be .010" larger than the OD of the spindle pin (others have reported the same issue). What this means is the nuts that tighten this inner sleeve against the strut pin boss is the only thing keeping the bushing from moving around under torque. With two of these gaps spaced approximately 7" apart, I could see where you may be in the same situation again. On the bright side, I've also heard of inner sleeves that fit snuggly on the spindle pin.

I did not get any response when I attempted this, but I have heard of others that successfully contacted ES about the issue and recieved the "good" sleeves that fit correctly. My intended fix at this poiint was to separate the OEM inner sleeve and insert it into a widened hole in the ES bushing. Eventually (because of the extreme tightness of these bushings - they must be sqeezed tightly in order for the assembly to completed) I instead chose to modify the control arm and use 3/4" heim joints to reduce stiction in the suspension.

I'm looking at finally re-bushing my rear end suspension. I've had the parts around, just need the puller. After reading this, I pulled out the parts (I have new spindles) and it looks like I have the reverse problem, the sleeves are too narrow. The spindle measures at 0.628" OD and the sleeves are measuring between 0.626" and 0.627". Is .002" diameter something that will stretch when hammered on with a socket used as a drift or should I call ES.

When I removed my spindle pins, It took the machine shop 34,000 pounds to get the pins out. I've always wondered just what Garys Puller can do to make up that kind of pressure. Or even better, a picture and description of Gary's unit would help us "Mechanically minded" people get a better understanding of "How it Works"

A picture is worth a thousand words, cause 1000 words still would'nt help till I see it first hand. Ya know?

Dave.

See there, NOW I UNDERSTAND totally! Thanks and now it's locked into my "Favorites" for easy access. Kinda like a short short skirt. I LOVE short skirts on a long legged woman.

Had to throw that last part in there. Did I mention that I lOVE short skirts!! :love:

Dave.

Is .002" diameter something that will stretch when hammered on with a socket used as a drift or should I call ES.

I would consider heating the sleeve and see if it would slip into the bushing and onto the pin. I would be a bit combersome with all of the lower arm assembly put together though. Sounds like ES has some quality control issues.