IGNORED

Fender to Sugar Scoop Packing

ZsRUSTIN

I just got my car painted and had the fenders and sugar scoops painted seperately. I see in the parts book there is a "packing" between the two parts. The Nissan part # 83811-E4101 comes up not available.

Has anyone found something to use for this. Is it just a rubber gasket or is it like the fender welting on the old VW beetles.

I am guessing it is thin enough that you don't really see it when looking at the fender after its been assembled.

My car had nothing between the 2 parts.

The packing is # 30 in the picture.

Thanks

post-10387-141507995737_thumb.jpg

I have taken some fenders apart that have this "packing" and some that don't.

IIRC, the stuff is about 1/8" thick, like a high density foam, or a loose rubber. It was kinda hard to tell after 35+/- years. Of the fenders that did have this stuff, no, you could not tell before disassembly.

We used to call it dum dom . You can find it at a camper or trailer supply. They have it in a roll that is about one inch wide and maybe 10' long. It is used to seal around windows and vents when they install them on campers. It is a puddy like stuff that will not harden and is sort of like silly puddy. Just roll sum between your palms to make a thin roll about the size of a pencil or less and a foot or so long . Just stick it on the fender flange and bolt the scoop on . Use your finger to remove the excess that mushes out . This will keep the water and stuff from finding its way up from the wheel well . One thing about this stuff , you can use it to seal seams under the car and around the hoses that enter the cabin in the rear of the car from the gas tank. It doesn't shrink and stays soft enough that it will flex with the sheet metal of the car . It's a good thing to have on hand . Gary

I just got my car painted and had the fenders and sugar scoops painted seperately. I see in the parts book there is a "packing" between the two parts. The Nissan part # 83811-E4101 comes up not available.

Has anyone found something to use for this. Is it just a rubber gasket or is it like the fender welting on the old VW beetles.

I am guessing it is thin enough that you don't really see it when looking at the fender after its been assembled.

My car had nothing between the 2 parts.

The packing is # 30 in the picture.

Thanks

I'd go with Enrique's recommendation found in some older threads -- Strip Caulk by 3M. This stuff behaves pretty much in the way Gary describes. I just got done using a bunch of it. Comes in a box, many many 1' long strips, about 1/4" wide and malleable. Costs about $10 at a car paint/body-shop supplies house.

Steve.