IGNORED

'72 240Z front strut ass. same as '73 260Z 2+2?

Doehring

Hi friends,

restoring a '72 240 Z I got a problem when I put the wheel on the left front axle, the tire get's in contact with the spring seat! The strut is from a car that had a crash at the left side. As it is extremely difficult to get 240Z parts here in Germany I have a problem. I got offered a strut from a 73 260Z 2+2 and from a 74 260Z 2+2. I saw that the springs are different, that's no problem exept if the spring seats would be different.

Can I just bolt on the mentioned struts instead of the original '72 one or do I run into troubles?

Thanks for your support in advance

Rolf

You should be able to use the strut from the 2+2 on the 240z. I'd swap the springs from the 240 onto the 260 strut. They should fit.

Springs should be the same diameter, so the spring perch should be the same, from what I can remember.

The only difference I know of it that the 260Z use a bigger diameter tube.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

thanks for your repy. In between I learened the hard way. The struts are different: The outer diameter of the tube is 4mm more (as Camourflage mentioned) for the later struts and the inner, too, so you need different cartouches, the springs are shorter and stronger, the spring seat to to tube's upper end is 1 cm less and the offset of the brake disks is different. I was told these changes were made mid 1947, but I'm not shure. As early Zs are very,very rare here I have to look in the US (zbarn.com for instance) or to

alter both sides to the 74 2+2's front suspension. Some of these cars were sold here and I saw on a scrabyard.

Rolf

Zbarn is a great resource. His prices are very fair and he tries to find the best part in his inventory. I picked up a rear control arm for my 240z after a shop bent one remove a bushing. He sent me a 280z arm (interchangeable) that had 90% of the original paint intact and no surface rust. The arm did not have any damage whatsoever.

Yes I did notice where he lives. He specifically mentioned Zbarn in his post "As early Zs are very,very rare here I have to look in the US (zbarn.com for instance)"

Did you read all of his post? I was giving him a testimonial for Zbarn.