IGNORED

I Need To Know If This Engine Combo Will Work...

Dan,

How much did the pistons cost? Do you know how much rear wheel HP/torque your motor puts out?

I certainly don't have anything against the stroker setup, I was just thinking of building the motor the other way around. Build the top end first because a good top end will make any L6 a lot better and then go after the bottom end. Regardless of whether the bottom end is a stock L24, a 10:1 compression stroker L28 with custom pistons or a 10:1 stock crank/flattop piston L28 it will really sing with modifications to head and exhaust. Since a F54 L28 could be bought for about $100 it wouldn't be very much more to upgrade there. But if the budget is more open up front then I could see how it would probably save money(cam choice, etc.) in the long run to start with the bottom end and then build the top end from there. I love my family but they sure have cut into the Z budget! ;-)

Have fun!

Way back in '94 the pistons cost me $36.38 per (list at $50.53/ea). Rear wheel torque measured last year was 189 lb-ft. rwhp was 177 BUT I had a busted spark plug causing the engine to cut out above 5000 rpm. It was headed to 190 for sure. Can't wait to get back to the dyno to see what the cylinder head work has gotten me! Then I'll swap the 2" jag carbs for the 45mm OER 3x2s I've got and see what that does.

A flat-top L28 is certainly a great bottom-end to build on as well. A diesel crank is by no means a necessity. But if you're rebuilding a bottom-end anyway, it's the perfect time to inch up!