IGNORED

"wheelskins"

76Datsun280z

Hey guys, I was curious if any of you by chance have one of those "wheelskins" steering wheel covers for your steering wheel and how you liked it and what you thought of it? I put that on x-mas list as my steering wheel is pretty worn and cracked and was wondering what you guys thought of them and how they compare to maybe some of the other after market ones.

Austen,

I've installed them on several cars, the most recent was my ex 280Z. I got the WHeel Skin from MSA.

On the 280, I removed all the foam/vinyl down to the metal steering wheel. Because that made the diameter too small for the Wheel Skin, I bought some rubber tubing, slit it down the length and slipped it over the metal. I can't remember the tubing size but it made the diameter perfect for the Wheel Skin to fit over.

I also painted the metal spokes of the steering wheel during this effort to refresh the whole assembly. Advice: Wear gloves when pulling on the waxed-string.

Bruce

As add-on steering wheel covers go, Wheelskins are the best. I had one on my old MGB's stock plastic wheel, it fit very nicely, and on that wheel looked almost the same as the factory leather covered wheel from an MGC. Very nice. I don't know if I'd like one as well on a 240Z, because there would still be bits of faux-wood showing. But on a 280Z it'd probably be a good low cost improvement.

I used one on my 280Z for years, and replaced it every couple/three years, If you are careful when lacing them up, they look good, but it is obvious they are a generic answer-If you really want a leather steering wheel, get with LBO730, he has got the thing down!

Will

• 1 month later...

For Christmas I got a leather wheelskin cover for it. My dad and I spent last night putting it on. It took us believe it or not an hour and half! We encountered a few nots along the way, but in the end it turned out great! It's a great upgrade for it I think and has a great new better feel to it.