Gears - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Gears

Featured Replies

Where can I pull gears for my 72Z? I am putting a 302 in it and don't know what else will fit? Thanks.

  • Author

Rear end.... I am sticking a 302 in my 72Z for drag racing and would like to know what my options are for rear end gears? Someone told me to use R200 4.11 out of a 200SX? I also heard R180 3.9 would work. What is the easiest route vs better route? Thanks.

well, for doing A drag car. Your best bet would be fab up A subframe and put A cut down solid axle with wheel tubs in.

The next step down would be A corvette (c3 I think) rearend. The corvette used the same style rear with independent rear suspension and can be fit in your Z. No it wont just slip in & bolt-up. But if you are going to go V-8 for drag racing you will be putting more power to the ground @ much more hp&torque then any stock nissan rearend was ment for.

Just do it rite the first time. After all the first you will need to track down the nissan rear you think you want. Blow it at the track and start looking again.

Alittle more money up front will save you tons later.

An R-180 is not strong enough to hold up to the stress of a V-8 conversion for long on the street, don't try it if you plan on drag racing. Use the R-200 at the very least.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

You might also want to consider the bigger and tougher Viscous-type R230 LSD

found in Twin Turbo Z32's (model years '90-'96) and the Infiniti Q45 from '90-95.

Or wait for the 350Z to hit the street and find out what kind'a diff it has. :)

This would be a good question to post over at HybridZ.

  • Author

I think that might be out of my price range. I am on a very tight budget. My wife and I have 1 year old twins... it's hard to come by money these days:-)

off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the viscous R230 from the 300zx, is a 3.7, just to let you know as you were thinking of dragging. Good luck

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.