IGNORED

I been searchin' (for wheel covers)

ZwolleY

Couple of questions about wheel covers:

I have three original for a '72 that are in rough shape, rusty, red center medallion missing on one, etc. Is it worth restoring these or just too much trouble?

After giving thought to putting chrome wheels on my car, I am now thinking original wheel covers. I did a lot of searching on the usual sites but no success. Are new, or very good used ones or restored covers available? How much should I expect to pay? It seems like there should be some out there in garages or shops since many cars have chrome wheels.

Are wheel covers from '70 thru '73 the same?

The early covers have a "D" instead of a "Z" on the emblem and look different. I usually see the early ones black and the others silver/gray color, and the shape is different too. Check ebay. They frequently come up.

See here for the later style (correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this '71-'73 - and the older ones are only on the '70 cars).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1839505451

Here's the early one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1839520169

notice the difference in price! The single '70 one went for more than a set of 4 of the later ones - all of them look like they're in good condition too. I guess since you've got a '72 you won't have to worry about finding the expensive ones. I've got 7 of the ones with the 'Z' but none of them look great - i'll probably end up buying a set like the one shown above on ebay.

Michael

For the "correct" ones, you'll want the ones with the Z in the center. I have a decent set that I've been thinking of selling, but I think I'm going to sell them with the original wheels and the almost-new tires on them as a set.

I too thought of keeping the original hubcaps. Mine are good, but a little faded so I wondered about a "almost perfect" set. Every set I saw like that on e-bay went for over $200 :cry:

One day I saw the wheels my car has now on there, and that was the end of that :-)